1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius radio on 2011 Prius III, Carwoo

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jangles, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jangles

jangles New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere on here. I am currently looking to buy my first Prius.

I already have a Sirius radio subscription (for years now) and love it. It would be nice to have it in my new car, but I really don't want to transfer my old receiver to my new car unless I have to. I know that on the 2011 Prius III (WITHOUT nav package), the radio is listed as XM compatible, but I don't know if that means that you can just transfer your subscription to this radio and start listening or if you have to have a separate receiver. If that is the case, is this radio also Sirius compatible or just XM? I didn't know if this was one of the older radios that weren't compatible since the companies merged to Sirius-XM.

I know the 2012 Prius will have the NAV package standard with the trim III and up and it will be listed as Sirius-XM compatible. I'm still debating on waiting for the 2012 Gen III Prius vs. getting a 2011 at a hopefully lower price, but I just don't have a clue how much more expensive the 2012's will be.

I test drove a 2011 Prius today and loved it. I'm just waiting for the right time to buy. I think I'm going to use Carwoo's negotiating service because I hate negotiating and am not good at it. I'm not a very pushy guy and I think this will be the best way for me to get the best price.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sirius and XM's billing are different. I have a lifetime on Sirius but cannot use it in the car since it is XM. There are threads on here though talking about a $77 a year deal you can ask for and get. That's what I did... I just use the Sirius lifetime I have on a plug and play unit in the yard or when I goto the beach in the summer etc and pay the $77 a year for the XM in the car each year having to call and request it again (telling them I'll leave if I cannot get it, no problem) and they always give it. Sometimes it takes 2-3 calls to get someone who will do it but eventually you get it.

3. jangles

jangles New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I think I may wait for the 2012's and see what the prices are compared to the 2011's. I guess I can always get a pretty good deal on a 2011 once the 2012 comes out. The standard nav package would be nice though.

Come to think of it, I can always get a 2011 III, and use my own GPS (at any speed), and just add in a small Sirius radio somewhere and call it a day for likely a cheaper price. Plus the speaker system will actually be better in the 2011 III

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a pre order in for the Prius Plug-in Advanced and after the trial is up on XM I will definitely not renew it this time around, even at the deal price. Having Pandora stream from my phone, which is already on an unlimited data plan, will plenty suffice... I'll miss it as I did like listening to Octane but the new apps on Entune, being able to finally try out HD radio etc will be enough without incurring yet another yearly fee.