1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SIRIUS RADIO

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KENSTOLLER, Oct 23, 2005.

1. KENSTOLLER

KENSTOLLER New Member

JUST GOT MY PACKAGE 6 PRIUS AND LOVE THE CAR-ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE BEST SIRIUS RADIO FOR THE MY 2005 PRIUS???....YES--HOWARD STERN HERE I COME!!...MANY THANX GUYS....KEN.......

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. kpauley

kpauley New Member

From a fellow Stern fan, I just installed the the Factory Interactive version last night. They have an EXCELLENT kit. It took me 2.5 hours. I read through the instructions first, they seem pretty sparse. But then I sat down and watched the DVD through once. It is great, shows everything step by step. I brought my laptop in the garage and stepped through the DVD as I was doing the install. Makes it very simple!

While I had everything apart I disabled the center speaker, haven't listened yet but I heard that makes it sound better.

Ken Pauley

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can anyone help me out a bit...

If I get the integrated kit so I can listen to Stern in the morning (it makes the commute tolerable, somtimes even fun), I won't be able to listen to it my house or office, right?

Has anyone taken a look at the portable unit which is supposed to be coming out soon? Any pros or cons to using that as opposed to the integrated kit? Or how about streaming it thru the phone?

5. PriusPage

PriusPage New Member

If you get the integrated kit, then no, that unit stays in the car. You can listen (limited to the music channels and a few talk / entertatinment channels) online if you like however.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey Ken, maybe you don't know, but ALL CAPS is equivalent to SCREAMING. It's considered rude. Unless you meant to be screaming...

Nate

7. Armature

Armature New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He's happy, Nate. Let him scream !
    :rolleyes:
    Davis

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  9. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    His name is in ALL CAPS too. Maybe his keyboard is stuck on all caps. :blink:

10. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all, I'm a newbie here. Will be picking up package 6 red prius tomorrow with leather seats installed by dealer. I originally had ordered dealer to also install satellite radio, but since reading about the integrated radio from factory interactive and coastal electronics I have cancelled the order. My questions:

Any downside to integrated radio, does it replace any current function or just add to the system?

How difficult is install? I would probably prefer a professional to do it, even if they have never seen the unit before.

Will install invalidate the warranty?

Thanks in advance for your help.

11. kpauley

kpauley New Member

The kit from FactoryInteractive uses a Toyota tuner part and a Sirius antenna. I think it is worth the money to buy the kit from Jon, as the video he includes steps you through the whole process. There is no wire tapping or anything like that, just about 14 screws and some panels to pull apart. Everything plugs into a factory plug on the back of the stereo.

If you are OK doing things like this, it was pretty easy. I watched the video all the way through first, felt like it was something I could do. I then brought my laptop to the garage and stepped through the video as I did the install.

If you watch the video and don't think you want to do it, then take it to a stereo shop.

No, it will not void your warranty.

Ken

12. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What are the chances that the Sirius kit will work in the '06?

13. Beetwo

Beetwo New Member

I have the Sportster Reply installed in my baby and I love it!

14. alansatterlee

alansatterlee New Member

Hey JennJay. I've been a Prius owner for a month now. I had an XM radio installed when I purchased the vehicle. It was arranged by the dealer at a local shop, but I went and picked out the unit to install. I chose an XM unit made by Delco called MyFi. It is a portable unit that sits in a docking station mounted on the dash. It is designed so that you can remove it and use it as a portable, however I haven't found reception to be too good. I do like the recording feature though which gives you up to 5 hours of recorded xm music of your choice, then you can use the unit like an mp3 player at the gym, etc. There is also a cool feature of tagging artists you like and whenever they are on any channel on xm radio, you are prompted and can jump to that channel. Also can program your favorite stocks or sports teams and get streaming quotes and scores. I can't stand Stern so XM is the choice for me. I have Sirius at home on Dish TV and I find it cheesey compared to XM radio (although i own both stocks.....)

Alan in Montana

15. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

According to the specs on the '06, the radio will include an AUX input.

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The OEM Sirus and XM probably will work fine. They use the changer/aux port, and the 2006 should have the same port.

17. chartquist

chartquist New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello, can someone who has installed the SiriusPrius kit describe how it connects to the factory head unit? I have the single-CD head unit and the additional 6-disk changer installed from the factory, so I assume that the 6-disk changer is plugged into the port that many are using for iPods.

Does the Sirius unit plug into something else? I don't want to order the SiriusPrius kit only to find that there is no place to plug it in on the back of the head unit.

Thanks!

18. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to say all those devices plug into the same AUX port. You might want to look at Vais to find some options to add AUX in and SAT. Their setup has a 'Y' cable that allows both a CD and MD player. The AIC-100 devices can be seen as either CD or MD and this will allow your CD changer and the Vais to coexist.

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most of the Sirius kits have a "Y" cable.

Nate

20. hybridsrule

hybridsrule New Member

I had Jon from Factory Interactive install the Sirius Prius setup in my 2005 Seaside Pearl with package 6 and I have to say I am very happy. There are some limitations with the 10 character limit but otherwise it is excellent. 18 pre-sets. Truly integrated. Very clean install and Jon was as careful as one could ever expect. He treats your car like he would treat his own. Very meticulous and 1 1/2 hours later I was on my way. I watched him do the install and was amazed how well it went and how clean the install is. You would never know he did anything. No wires, nothing showing except the low profile antenna which is fine. I highly recommend it if you're looking for Sirius Sat radio and I would expect the same regarding the XM if that is your preference. It's great when you find someone who lives up to the hype and does a great job for you. Loving the satellite.

Thanks again.