1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius S50 Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ken S, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Sirius S50 unit I'd like to install in my 2005 Prius. I'm having problems finding a spot where:
    1. I can see the display.
    2. It doesn't block access to something else in the car.

Any ideas?

2. Smooth Operator

I have tried a couple of locations and been dissatisfied with them.

I currently have my S50 mounted with the long mount, on the driver's side of the console, just by my right leg. My leg doesn't bump it and I can adjust it to be visible to the driver, the passenger or both.

It does not obstruct the kleenex drawer (like an earlier location), the cup holders, or the console door. Most importantly it is not in a location where it will become a projectile in the event of an air bag deployment.

I am trying various locations using the 3M removable adhesive strips that are sold for putting up pictures on the wall. I can try a location for a few days and if I don't like it, the 3M strips remove easily.

Let me know if you decide on a better location.

BTW, I then keep the remote control in the front cup holder nearest the console. I use the remote to change channels to reduce pressure on the car mount.

I also put a Palm screen protector on the front surface of the S50 as it started to show some wear after only a few weeks.

Finally, in that mounting location, I can easily loosen the lower ring connector and flip the car connector down when I leave the car. It is then almost invisible to passers by. When I get the Visual Garage shark fin antenna, I will mount my Sirius antenna inside it. My Sirius system should then be practically invisible from the outside, removing a temptation to possible thieves.

3. egb6550

egb6550 New Member

I think I used a similiar spot, I used the long mount with the cup on the underside.. below the radio.. Only problem I had was the two sided tape wouldn't hold.. so I used a couple drops of super glue.. holds good now!.. the the top of the unit ends up being right below the radio's volume knob.. and adjusts well .. don't use remote since it's right there.. oh and that door right below the radio still opens and closes.

4. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Can I talk either or both of you into posting a pic or two? :)

5. egb6550

egb6550 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S @ Jul 16 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]287304[/snapback]</div>
    Here ya go.. I mentioned before how I had to use super glue, so once I was sure where I wanted it go I had to remove the sticky tape first.

6. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(egb6550 @ Jul 16 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]287319[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you...looks like a good location.

7. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S @ Jul 16 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]287137[/snapback]</div>
    After using many different mounts for GPS and Sat Radio including suction cups and cup holder mounts, I believe the Panavise is the best mount. This will work with the S50 as well as XM2GO radios.

It installs to the right of the MFS using a preexisting screw. Full installation info at Panavise.

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/indash/ind...921496568147570

Attach the "dock" to the Panavise bracket. It should be compatible with the AMPS pattern holes in the bracket.

You will need to run the power and either an audio cable or a Antenna Tap (FM Modulator Relay) from the behind the dash. WIth the Right center vent removed to install the panavise, this will be easy. You will be able to tap switched power from the cig lighter wiring behind the dash. Run the antenna to the front DASH just like Toyota does for their "factory" XM installation. This will be easy to do after removing the glove box.

Here is a short cut to the Toyota XM installation. Use the Dash dissassembly to show you how to get access to the antenna behind the radio (for the FM Modulator Relay method) and to run the antenna lead from the Sirius DOCK to the dash. Combine these instructions with the instructions for the Panavise and you are all set.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3658

The other method you can use to interface the audio of the S50 with the Prius is to do one of two things...

1) Run an audio cable from the front dash under the carpet to the center console and plug the cable into the the AUX in there. You will probably need a line isolation filter (this works with the 2006 Prius with AUX in).

2) or Get a DICE or VAIS interface that will plug into the back of the radio to provide an additional AUX in for the S50 behind the dash.

If this is too complicated for you to do, this should be an easy installation at a good automotive audio shop, especially with a DASH location for the Antenna.