1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius Satellite Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Alkurth, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Alkurth

Alkurth New Member

I have a 2007 Prius with upgraded satellite radio. I want Sirius installed, but my dealer including the parts manager tells me that XM is the only service available. The Toyota Official Web Page lists both Sirius and XM as an option. Can I get Sirius and if so how.

Thanks
    Al

2. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Hi

I had the same problem when I bought mine just about a month ago now. Toyota customer care natl number informed me that they had issues with the Sirius unit in the past so they stopped installing them for the time being.

I was told the same thing at my dealership, unfortunately I didn't look at this website prior to buying XM from them.

You can get Sirius from this site "http://www.factoryinteractive.com/" and it will totally integrate to the factory unit just like one from Toyota. The only negative aspect is that it won't display all the characters for the song name etc, but I can deal with that for having Sirius back.

If you look on here with the search feature, I am sure you will find more threads about this topic.

Good luck!

3. ucsbgaucho

ucsbgaucho New Member

I got a Sirius Starmate plug 'n play, as that option is a LOT cheaper than going the factory route. $100 (less with the rebate) for the receiver and its easy to install yourself, mine fits real nice right in the opening below the CD player, though with the new Starmates that have to use the docking cradle, it won't fit behind the flip-down down, you have to either leave the door open all the time, or just take it off like I did. Plus, it scrolls the whole song title and artist, shows both at hte same time, and you can keep your MFD on the map or info displays and still see all the title/artist info at the same time.

4. Driver-72

Driver-72 New Member

That's odd.
    I have an appointment to have Sirius installed in my one week old 2007 Prius.
    My wife actually made the appointment, but I know she specified Sirius (not XM)
    as we have Sirius in our other 3 cars.

The appointment is for this Monday, I'll let you guys know how it goes, as
    the service advisor said the car is prewired for either Sirius or XM.
    Sirius rules though and I wouldn't go back to XM.
    If we get the car there Monday morning and they can't install Sirius for some reason, I'd get a plug and play installed.

Our quote was $495 for the Sirius installation at the dealership.
    Kinda pricey, but worth it if I don't have to have a plug and play sticking out of
    the dash.

5. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 3 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]385001[/snapback]</div>

Hey there,

I am sure some dealers are still installing the Sirius units. Just be sure to ask them where they are planning on putting your antenna, they put mine on the front windshield for XM which is where Toyota tells them to place it. The reception there was kinda sucky not to mention UGLY there lol.

If it isn't Sirius the one from Factory interactive works just great with the stock radio from toyota.

I dont' know what your service guy meant by it is pre-wired for the satellite? I just bought my 07 like 3 weeks ago and it wasn't pre-wired, just the radio has the capability to plug the wire into the back of it from the tuner.

Just watch that antenna location. Mine worked fine once I moved it to the roof.

Good luck.

6. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akurth @ Feb 2 2007, 09:57 AM) [snapback]384372[/snapback]</div>
    The other option is the Vais SLS. As far as I know, this is the only way to get 16 Characters.

http://www.vaistech.com/

7. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Feb 5 2007, 05:20 AM) [snapback]385468[/snapback]</div>

Just checked the VAIS site and it appears that their SoundLinQ (SLS) [at MSRP $329, Sale $299] is required in ADDITION to a SIRIUS receiver.

I wonder if the TOYOTA installed SIRIUS receiver can be re-used (by removing an interface attachment).

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Feb 2 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]384399[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting because the Factory Interactive kit unit is a Toyota specific tuner (for another Toyota vehicle) but works just fine.....minus the 10 character limit.