1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius vs. XM

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by IndyDoug, Nov 20, 2005.

1. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Link.

If not XM, then get Sirius

By MICHAEL SADOWSKI

Pocono Record Writer

So you've decided to move to satellite radio.

But whose system do you choose?

For the most part, you've got two choices, either XM Radio, the country's largest satellite radio system, or fast-rising competitor Sirius radio.

First, there are some things you need to know. Both systems charge a monthly or yearly cost for a subscription, starting at $12.95 a month.

Both systems also require you to buy a receiver to hook up to your car, with prices starting at about 50 bucks for a low-end receiver. A high-end receiver can approach $300.

One more thing -- you've also got to handle the installation, a semi-easy task for most models.

No big deal, you say. You've decided once and for all it's time to move to satellite radio.

The good news is it's not like buying a car -- there just isn't that much choice. Basically, it depends on what you want, as XM and Sirius systems have nearly exact subscription costs at all levels. Neither requires a contract.

Even the daily music programming is, for all intents and purposes, identical.

There are small differences in the music, however. XM for example, offers six country channels to Sirius's five. Sirius, however, offers an all-Elvis channel.

When it comes to talk radio, Sirius is making the biggest move. Starting Jan. 1, radio personality Howard Stern -- the self-proclaimed "King of All Media" -- moves his show to the uncensored Sirius satellite format.

Sirius also has a Martha Stewart channel for women and a Maxim channel for men.

XM's only high-profile name in talk radio is the "Opie and Anthony Show" -- once banned for a stunt-gone-too-far in New York City. XM has been carrying the show since October 2004.

Some of the biggest differences lie in the sports coverage. XM owns the rights to broadcast all Major League Baseball games, NASCAR races and Professional Golfers Association events.

Sirius counters with the exclusive rights to carry National Football League and National Basketball Association games.

The two split up college sports coverage, though Sirius holds the rights to broadcast the NCAA Basketball Tournament. XM does have the exclusive broadcast rights to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Currently, the two outlets share broadcasting rights to the National Hockey League. However, in 2007 XM gets exclusive rights.

When it comes to sports talk, XM does seem to have an edge, with big-names in The Sporting News and FOX Sports channels.

Sirius has two of its own sports talk stations.

Both outlets feature ESPN radio.

For more information, visit www.sirius.com or www.xmradio.com to compare for yourself.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Failed to mention:
    More DJ independence and significantly larger music library of XM.
    Real NPR for Sirius and a pretty lame XMPR on XM.
    I've heard of reception issues in certain locations...but I don't know details.
    Margaritaville on Sirius!!

Sirius is on DISH, XM on DirecTV.

But the take home message is fair, I think. The music differences for most are minor, afficionados who like a little more ecclectic variety probably prefer XM.

If you MUST have NPR, NFL, NBA, or Howard Stern (gag) then pick Sirius.
    If you MUST have MLB, NHL, more sports talk, then pick XM.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I speak for both of us when I say that I wish XM had the SEC as a part of it's college football offering.

That and the NFL has me tempted to try Sirius, but their hardware is lacking for me.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yea, I'd really like to see the SEC. Is it on Sirius?

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

What it boiled down to for me was the hardware. Last year, XM released the portable MyFi handheld, home/work/office, and came with car/home kit, and a third portable antenna. I was sold. Within the last week or so, Sirius came out with a BAD-nice person portable unit, therefore, the MyFi is now $150 down from $300 just a few months back, good value, particularly if the price drops...

I read somewhere, though, Sirius is a little better quality, something like significantly higher sampling rates than XM....

:ph34r:

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ALOT more College/indie label music on Sirius. That was the winner for me.
    XM was too mainstream for me. Too much like listening to my local stations, it's like listening to stuff I can hear anywhere.