1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by psibill, Apr 17, 2007.

1. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Have an '06 with dealership installed Sirius.

I also installed (a month or so ago)) the Ultimate Lockpick, and a few other goodies. :D

This may not be related, but I just noticed that with the sat radio, I have practically no left channel. It is very faint and full of static. AM/FM are OK on left channel, so I rule out just about everything except maybe the Sirius tuner and/or the related cabling.

So this may be a new thing, or something that I did when I installed the Lockpick stuff behind the MFD. And maybe nothing related at all. No, I don't remember this problem after I first put the dash back together, but then maybe I didn't notice I was missing the left channel. (And I'm usually driving the EV).

So, question is, where does the cable from the Sirius unit end up? Does it connect to the MFD, and if so, which connector? If not, where does it interface with the on-board audio equipment?

Sirius tech support says they can do nothing remotely (although Sirius customer care said tech could do all sorts of remote testing and resetting, etc.), and before I take it back to the dealership (and have to explain all those extra wires and modules), I'd like to make sure it's not something I caused, though I expect they may try to pin it on me anyway since I've been all over the car with mods. B)

Thanks!

2. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Apr 17 2007, 04:02 AM) [snapback]424511[/snapback]</div>
    The cable from the factory Sirius unit should be plugged in the the head unit (main radio) in the vehicle. There is jack in the back to accomodate Sirrus or XM receivers.

There have been a number of threads on here regarding static with Sirius radio, not sure if its related to your problem or not but definitely worth a search.

Good Luck!

3. psibill

psibill Junior Member

I was hoping to have that precise jack identified so I could check it out.

I don't know if the jack is labeled "Sat" or something like that, and I was hoping to get a description of its location so I could perhaps avoid tearing out the MFD just to read the fine print near the jacks. Like, any chance that the subject jack is one that needs to be unplugged for the Lockpick installation?

Also, I have doubts it's a jack issue, since they all seem to have locking retainers or such. But I want to check out all the options before turning it over to the dealership.

I've read the threads about static, and until this episode, what I noticed in that regard is that music stations sounded fine, but talk stations like local weather, sounded like they were at the end of a long tube. So I figured it had something to do with the broadcast and not the hardware.

Guess I should add that this was a dealership install and not factory. I understand there is a difference. :)

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Apr 17 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]424687[/snapback]</div>

It's not labeled anything specific. And I don't know, if anyone has a pic of the Lockpick wiring harness I could tell you easily.

5. psibill

psibill Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 17 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]424694[/snapback]</div>

Attached Files:

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, that's exactly where any accessories are plugged in. The lockpick could easily be the culprit.

7. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Do you know which plug would be for sat radio?

Today I got in the car ready to tear the dash apart. Funny thing, now it's working fine! Fiddled around a bit, using different displays (NAV, setup, FM, sat, etc.) and seem to stay, but then cut out again. I gave the MFD a whack on the right side (impulsive response), and it started working again. SO, I started banging around on the dash, etc., but never could get it to fail again.

So, not sure at this point what to do, but I guess it does point to a bad connection somewhere in the dash, with the NAV mod module, MFD, etc. :-(

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Apr 17 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]424777[/snapback]</div>

Which plug? They all go into the same port. You have them plugged in series. I can't really see what's plugged into what. I'm pretty sure that the lockpick is the first thing plugged in since that wiring looks really cheaply done and hand made.

9. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Apr 17 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]424777[/snapback]</div>
    There is only one plug the Satellite/Aux goes in, then you connect other equipment in series off of the main....

If definitely sounds like a bad connection and I would be leaning toward the lockpick...

10. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Do you know, is it the left, middle, or right connector as viewed in the photo?

BTW, I pulled out the Sirius tuner from behind the right vent, and those "anti-static" jumpers were already installed! Apparently something that the dealership did. I will admit they certainly could have used a much smaller length of jumper, but, hey, at least they did it. Now I don't have to worry about doing it.

And yes, the issue appears to be behind the MFD. Oh, Joy.

But in a pinch, I can remove the glove box, and giggle the cable leading up to the MFD from the Sirius tuner. :D

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Apr 17 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]424879[/snapback]</div>
    The middle. I thought you knew that already since the arrow was pointing right to it.

12. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Naw, that was their (coastaletech's) arrow.

Thanks!

13. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Finally tore the dash apart.

This time, I removed the radio. When I initially installed the Lockpick, I was able to get my hands behind the radio to remove and reinsert the connectors.

Well, when I slowly and gently pulled out the radio, a connector popped out the back of the radio. Yep, that was the Sirius connector. So, guess the latch didn't catch the first time. It's holding now.

Put it all back together and we'll see if it holds and lets me listen to the left channel.

Whew!

Attached Files:

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill-psi @ Apr 23 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]428613[/snapback]</div>
    Nice exploding dash. I want a high quality copy of that :lol:

15. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Notice the air bags have NOT deployed.

:eek: