1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius, XM and IPod interfaces

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Syclone, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As I've said before on this site, when I bought my Prius in May of this year, the dealer threw in a Sirius box with a free 9 month subscription. The only thing I didn't like about the installation was the ugly trapazoidal shaped antenna inside the windshield next to the rear view mirror.

A couple of weeks ago BOBZ and I installed Shark Fins and hid our satelitte antennas under the shark fins. When I connected the new antenna to the sirius unit, which was under the dash, to the right of the lower glove compartment, I noticed it was made by Pioneer.

I became curious about this. Would Pioneer make a custom unit for the Prius or even a couple of other Toyota vehicles, or is the Buss used in the Prius similar or even the same as that in the entertainment interfaces of other vehicles.

I did some research and found that there are series of XM and Sirius receivers that look identical to the Prius unit, except for the interface conectors. All of the other units which, by the way use an interface called the IP- Bus, looked the same. The Prius use a single Molex connector.

[attachmentid=4510]

Also, while doing my snooping around, I discovered a Pioneer IPod interface adapter, again using IP-Bus.

[attachmentid=4511]

I've attached pictures of both units showing the interface connections.

My question for the more technically inclined members of this forum is: Is IP-bus similar or the same as the interface used in the Prius? This could mean that just an adapter cable could solve some of the problems that members are having interfaceing external electronics on 2006 Prius's