1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius/XM radio Gen 4 Prius 2 question

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by TinyTim, Feb 27, 2017.

1. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a Sirius XM upgrade kit for the Prius 2 that works with entune like on the other Prius Gen 4 models? Basically, I am asking if the same Sirius kit used on the other Prius trim lines can be purchased and installed just as they are.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m not aware of a Toyota kit to add SiriusXM satellite radio to a fourth-generation Prius—at least, there isn’t one listed in Toyota’s accessories brochure, nor among the installation instructions on techinfo.toyota.com.

For the trim levels that have SiriusXM from the factory, the SiriusXM receiver is actually a separate box from the Entune head unit. You could buy one as a service part (Stereo Component Tuner Assembly, 86180-35050, list price $796.43), but I think it wouldn’t work with the Entune head unit on a Prius Two.

According to the 2017 sales brochure and service publications, there are two versions of the Entune head unit, one for the Prius Two and Two Eco and another for the trim levels with SiriusXM:
    • Two, Two Eco: Entune with 6.1-inch display
      (Radio and Display Receiver Assembly, code 510028, 86140-47270, $3,389.29)

• Three, Three Touring, Four, Four Touring: Entune Premium with 7-inch display, navigation, and SiriusXM
      (Navigation Receiver Assembly, without JBL audio, code 510053, 86804-47330, $4,777.01;
      with JBL audio, code 510054, 86804-47340, $5,061.60)
    You can identify the head unit on your car by its six-digit code number, which should be printed on the front of the display, near the lower right corner.

For your purposes, the most important difference between these two versions is that only the second one, the Navigation Receiver Assembly, has the three connectors for the factory SiriusXM receiver, as seen in this illustration from the Repair Manual:

The SiriusXM receiver is on the bottom; the harness shown in blue is the No. 1 Navigation Wire, 86842-35010, $88.24.

I found an eBay listing for a Radio and Display Receiver Assembly, and as you can see in the second listing photograph, there is nothing but blank sheet metal where those connectors would be.

I suppose you could do a complete upgrade from Entune to Entune Premium, but you might need other parts. For example, I haven’t checked whether the roof antenna or its wiring would need to be replaced. There could also be some necessary wires missing from the main instrument panel, engine room, or body wiring harnesses, which differ among the trim levels.

Considering the comments made here about Entune, even if you could buy everything at dealer cost and do the installation yourself, I’m not sure the upgrade would be worth it, compared to buying an aftermarket SiriusXM receiver or a complete aftermarket audio and navigation system.

If you did happen to know someone who was replacing an Entune Premium head unit with an aftermarket system, though, and was willing to give you the head unit and SiriusXM receiver for free, I believe they could be made to work in your car.

Otherwise, I’d suggest checking with your dealer or SiriusXM directly for alternatives.

TinyTim likes this.
  3. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the detailed and long winded explanation. Can you explain the purpose of the shark fin antenna on the Prius 2? I assumed that was also the Sirius/XM antenna as well. I assumed it was pre wired for Sirius. Essentially the easy way would be to use the Aux connection on my Prius next to the USB connection.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re most welcome. On the Prius Two, the shark fin antenna, called the Roof Antenna Assembly by Toyota, contains the AM and main FM antennas. There is a second wire antenna for FM in the rear window glass.

There are, by the way, at least six versions of the Roof Antenna Assembly for the fourth-generation Prius; the other versions add satellite radio, cellular (telematics), and ITS Connect capabilities:
    • 86300-47180 (86300-0R090): AM, FM (Two, Two Eco; Hawaii; Europe).
    • 86960-47050 (86960-0R030): AM, FM, SiriusXM (Three, Three Touring; Four, Four Touring, without telematics).
    • 86760-47090: AM, FM, SiriusXM, cellular (Four, Four Touring, with telematics).
    • 86300-47170: Japan (without ITS Connect).
    • 86760-47080: Japan (with ITS Connect).
    • 86760-47060: Russia and Kazakhstan (with telematics).
    The antenna covers and wiring harnesses differ, too, of course.

5. Infamous6i9

Infamous6i9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that reply. I was hoping there would be at least a satellite antenna darn.. was hoping there would be one since I ordered a standalone Sirius kit but places the antenna on the dash. But sometimes I can't get reception
    I got the prius 2 without the Sirius. Traded my 13 prius 3 for the 17 prius 2 focusing on all the safety features. And as soon as I went in the car I was saddened with regular radio lol..