1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SiriusPrius Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rufaro, Oct 23, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month, I had someone (Hi Cobra!) install my SiriusPrius kit. Now...this could of course be entirely coincidental, but maybe not. Last week, I had the Pri at the dealership to install a (slightly used) HomeLink mirror--turned out they couldn't because I'm missing a particular cable that is, apparently, only available in this country if you buy the whole shootin' match. In the meantime, to figure this out, they had to disassemble my dash...just like you do to install the SiriusPrius, to get it to connect to the MFD. When I picked up the car on Saturday and tried to use my Sirius, I get a message along the top that just says "ANTENNA," although all my presets still show. I know there are times when the satellites can't find me...then it says "NO SIGNAL" and DOES NOT show the presets.

One of the two guys who had been involved in the enterprise from the start was not in on Saturday, so I was told to call in on Monday when both guys would be there. The one who was away on Saturday is who I spoke with today. He said he THINKS there might be some kind of "reset" function, but he has to talk to the other guy and then get back to me.

Now, I am SUPPOSED to be leaving in a week to drive from NoCal, up to British Columbia and across to Montreal (with a slight detour via Chicago), then down to Boston for Thanksgiving with DH's family, NY, DC, GA and back across the rest of the way, with other and sundry stops.

Needless to say, I REALLY do NOT want to do this without the Sirius! (I'll be flying solo outbound until Boston, then DH will drive back to NoCal with me.) I mean, I don't think I have EVER put 7k miles on ANY of my earlier cars in a full year, much less in a month or so...never mind in a car that has all of 3k on the odo (I bought it in May, and yes, it is an '06). Now, I do NOT need telling maybe I should have got one of the packages that came with the sat radio and homelink mirror...oh yeah, and the nav, 'cause I bought one of too (no--not one that hooks into the MFD, but still...)...

Anyone have any ideas on this one? Maybe the timing really IS coincidental and it is something else. Given that I did not do the install on the Sirius myself, I'm not entirely clear on the routing of the antenna wire. And I can't find the dvd that came with it (and even if I COULD find it...I couldn't watch the dvd OR the install and see how much of my baby got taken apart).

PLEASE, SOMEONE, HELP! :(

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    rufaro!!!!!!! [​IMG]

i will ask DH tonight for you... provided he gets home at any kind of decent hour.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back, Rufaro! I'd suggest staying off pancakes for awhile, if you want to keep your appetite.

Galaxee, can't you just call him at work? What happens when he gets home at an INdecent hour? :D

4. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Oct 23 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]336814[/snapback]</div>
    Most Sat receivers will output a "no antenna" signal if the satelitte antenna is not plugged in. Check the Sirius satelitte adapter box.

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Oct 23 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]336844[/snapback]</div>
    I second what Syclone said. Check to see if the Satellite antenna somehow got unplugged from the sat tuner (a little gray/silver box that says "Sirius Connect"). It may be in one of several locations: under the passenger seat, behind the glove box, behind a rear trim panel (in the cargo area), or even behind the pocket under the radio. If it got unplugged while they were working on installing a Homelink mirror, then I'd
    bet it's in the dash somewhere (i.e. behind Glovebox or radio).
    It's a small plug that will go right into a socket on the side of the sat tuner box.
    Bad news is that you'll probably have to pull apart the dash to get to these locations......maybe check with the installer to see for sure where the sat tuner box is located to save you some time.
    Hope this helps.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH says:

1. you're getting screwed over the homelink mirror. his shop installs them after the fact. all it needs is a power source and a ground, everything else is self contained! it's not rocket science to hook that baby up. unless you mean that there is no wiring coming out of the mirror whatsoever. there is a little plug back there and whoever you bought it from should have clipped the wiring and left a few inches of lead on there.

if you need that DH can ask his (competent) parts guy about it.

actually... on your way down to GA if you take i-85 and have a bit of time to stop by, DH can take a look and maybe even install it for you.

2. your sirius antenna wire will probably run up one of the a-pillars... and chances are that the people at the dealer were in there tinkering and either pinched a wire when reassembling or disconnected something.
    bit of advice: if an antenna wire is pinched or broken, MAKE THEM BUY YOU A NEW ANTENNA... trying to patch one doesn't usually work.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 23 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]337128[/snapback]</div>
    Yo ho ho and a bottla rum and three cheers to one and all!

And bless you Galaxee and your dh!

I bought the mirror from a fellow PCer...and there are NO wires or anything. It came with his car, he didn't like it and just, apparently, yanked it out, leaving all the fittings behind. And I really do have to say I do trust the main guy at my dealership...(And the SiriusPrius was installed by another PCer.)

However...since we're going from Arlington, VA to Atlanta...there sure will be a chunk of I-85 along which we will travel...In any case, maybe we can stop and say howdy. I'll email or PM you as we head in that direction. I gotta say, I never thought we'd see Galaxee offering to share her tech!

As to the Sirius...turns out that when the dealer had the headliner down to try and figure out what the hell kinda connection the mirror needed, they somehow managed to jiggle something that very slightly shifted the placement of the antenna wire so it was indeed getting pinched by the hatch. This left me with 2 choices: 1, drive with the hatch open (not the optimal solution) or 2, judicious application of electrical tape to keep the wire out of the way. Boy, am I ever glad I got me a black Pri now!

My dog was VERY amused watching me creep and crawl around the inside of the back of the car while I worked this one out.

I am VERY glad SOMEONE was amused... :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 23 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]336835[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, thank you Hyo, pancakes are DEFINITELY not on my diet these days.

As to your latter question to Galaxee--hasn't anyone ever told you not to ask questions for which you probably don't want the answers?