1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

site reorganisation

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by hyo silver, Jun 2, 2009.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, this is different.

Why not have a section for the generation one, too?

edit: Ahh, there is one, but it's under Gen2. And wasn't Detroit about Gen3?

(I'll assume the restructuring is ongoing)

2. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would like this too. I didn't realize that Gen1 was under Gen2 (???). I have a 2001 Prius and would love to read posts from others who also have this model.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, the re-org is still ongoing, but I'm up for listening to feedback from the community. Soon the rest of the non-Gen2 forums will be moved out from under that hierarchy, including the Gen I forum. I'm not going to make any of the in-depth forums for Gen I since it is lightly trafficked.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will there be a "kid's play area" for the houses of Fred? :p

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to see the 2010 Link disappear from the drop down up top. Reason being is it seems this main forum ends up being the catch-all for many new posters. Many of the misdirected posts either belong in specific sub-forums, or even under the Gen II section. It's not easy for the mods to police this kind of misdirection, and part of it can be mitigated through simple UI changes.

Keeping topics in the correct forums helps to make a more usable forum.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now I can't find the Gen I Forum listed at all. My bookmark still works, but am I overlooking it somehow in the forum list?

Also, will there be any Prius Main Forum, for posts that are Prius-related or of interest to Prius owners whichever model they drive? Do they all belong in Fred's now? That doesn't seem right, Fred's is described as anything unrelated to the Prius.

What would be the appropriate forum now for, e.g., Bob Wilson's bell-the-hybrid updates? Prius and Hybrid News? Would that work if discussion threads developed?

I'm not trying to be critical of the reorg, just thinking aloud while I try to figure it out.
    I do think a non-model-specific forum might be useful.

Or, does the software support tagging of some sort? Could a poster add a "Gen-3-specific" tag to a thread, where the software could automagically link a nonspecific thread under all the relevant "forums" but a gen-3-specific thread would only appear under a gen-3 and general heading?

Anybody else think that might help avoid fragmenting the forums too much, and allow more cross-pollination of ideas from people who happen to have different Prius models?

-Chap

7. FalconFour

FalconFour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW. I'm bumping this because I just spent about 10 minutes looking over the forums, over and over and over and over... looking for the Gen1 forum. Much as I'd love to be a GenII-or-newer owner, the closest I can get is having a Gen1 Prius at the office.

Very frustrating, though! I specifically collapsed the Gen2 (and newer) forums so I could visually focus on looking through the other forums for "here's the Gen1 forum!". Couldn't find it. I collapsed those forums because their description very clearly says "Discussion forums for the 2nd Generation 'Iconic' 2004-2009 Toyota Prius" - specifically excluding the Gen1 Prius!

And yet, there it is, the Gen1 forum, hidden underneath the Gen2 forums...
    priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease, make this make more sense... I can understand Gen1 doesn't get much love because it doesn't have many owners. But put it somewhere I'm looking for it:
    priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/
    :)

BTW, sloppy coding... I can't post a link to PriusChat itself before I reach 5 posts? Kidding me? I can't link to PriusChat inside PriusChat? Come on... are you guys "hiring" webmasters? haha...

8. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree....a sub for each generation would be great.....love to see it.....now to get the posters to obey........there lies the problem.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right. It's there, but not in the most obvious place. A separate section with its own header would be logical.

There are differences as well as similarities. Some issues, like tires, are common to all of the generations. So it's not impossible for an owner of one generation to have something relevant to say about another. For everything else, there's Fred's.