1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sitting at stop lights and MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by swfoster2, Oct 8, 2007.

1. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

I have had my Prius for 5 months now and it is a gift from God 4 sure. While I still have not achieved 60, I am averaging 49.7. Los Angeles has hills and I have a short commute so no wonder.... But, I figure if you add in the gas I am not burning while sitting in traffic or red lights at full stop, that probably makes up for the difference.

Am I correct that the computer cannot factor in the time you sit at red lights into the MPG?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The computer factors in sitting at red lights just fine. It's no different that other driving. The computer keeps track of the distance driven and the fuel burned, and does the math for you. The only weird thing with the display comes with the US version, which shows miles per gallon. If you manage to go for a five minute period without burning any fuel, the computer shows a blank bar, since dividing by zero would produce an error. It still calculates your overall mileage correctly.

Tom

3. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

thanks- I guess this is one of the things I like best about my Prius- that it doesn't burn fuel when I am sitting at red lights or stuck in traffic- both of which we have an overabundance in Los Angeles!

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    B) <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 8 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]522799[/snapback]</div>
    The computer factors it all in, but the time you sit at red lights your're not going anywhere. So there's nothing to factor. Miles Per Gallon, but no miles.

And that's why the Prius has the advantage...because it doesn't burn gas sitting still, right?

Remember, the guy who's burning gas while sitting still gets less MPG.
    Or does he?

Wrap you head around this......Ordinary car and a Prius with one gallon of gas. Each drives one mile and sits. Who gets better mileage?

Ordinary car w/ 1 gallon of gas--travels 1 mile and sits--runs out of gas= 1 mile per gallon.
    Prius w/ 1 gallon of gas--travels 1 mile and sits........battery depleats...ICE recharges...etc...runs out of gas= 1 mile per gallon.

Didn't expect that did ya?

5. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust me ... you look stupid driving it ... it just depends who is looking. Do you have those testicles that hang from the hitch as well? Those are really classy.

6. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 8 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]522799[/snapback]</div>
    0MPH = 0MPG

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    troll's post deleted....please don't quote the trolls...don't feed them at all.

My POS lawnmower does all that too. But it's still a POS.
    So, one has to ask, why are you here? Maybe you like the look of people in Prius'. Deep down inside, in places you don't like to talk about.

8. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

Well- I guess my questions now are : how much gas does a non-hybrid car burn when it is sitting at a red light? The engine is running, and emissions are coming out the tailpipe.

The hybrid computer is calculating MPG according to when the car is actually rolling, right?

Am I grabbing at straws here?

oh, and V-8- I would have to see what you look like to know how good you look in your gas-guzzling, environment killing monster. Some look good, true, but some do not......the car can't cover up bad looks.
    I bet you would look great in a Prius, though!

9. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 8 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]522825[/snapback]</div>

cheminee, I didn't mean to confuse you.....Of course, The Prius can sit still and not burn gas...And that's one of the many advantages it has. My point was, the advantage does have limitations. It just can't do it too long. ;)

10. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Oct 8 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]522808[/snapback]</div>

Except the Prius will run out of gas 30 hours later than the regular car. So what's your point?

11. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 8 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]522825[/snapback]</div>
    I think maybe we don't understand what you are asking (I know I don't). Say you had a traditional car with an MPG meter. It reads 30 when you come to a stop light. The engine continues running. As time passes and the light stays red, you have not gone any additional miles, but you are using additional gas. Thus the MPG meter clicks slowly down as the denominator (gallons) gets bigger and bigger while the numerator (miles) does not change. OTOH, a car whose engine stops at the stop light will see not change in MPG until and unless the engine starts (to charge the battery, keep the engine warm, etc). So the Prius MPG calculator does not have to do anything special. It just keeps dividing miles travelled by gallons used whether you are on the highway or at a stoplight.

Another way to think of this is "The engine turning off at a stop light does not increase the MPG of a Prius. Rather the engine idling at a stop light decreases the MPG of a traditional car.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes after I fill up with petrol and my L/100km goes sky high while I sit with the system on and work out my fuel consumption it will go up to 99L/100km so it is possible for the computer to work out consumption while you sit still. I only need to drive a few kilometres and the fuel consumption comes back to normal because the amount of fuel used while sitting still is minimal but when calculated against 0 KM an eye dropper of fuel = infinite L/100km

13. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [/b][/quote]

The OP is asking if the Prius computer is taking into account the abscence of the use of gas while sitting still, which has no impact on MPG. So, it's a moot question. I was being facetious, but correct.
    The computer is always calculating every few moments, even when sitting still. Sitting still has no impact on MPG in the Prius*, It does in other cars.

*to a point, see above

14. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Oct 8 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]522808[/snapback]</div>
    Check your math. I think you'll find that it depends on how much gas was in the tank when you start the experiment. Assume a car with a 20 gal tank, and assume you get to use the full 11.9 gal Prius tank....

Miles per gallon = miles traveled divided by gallons used.

1 mile divided by 20 gallons = 0.050 mpg

1 mile divided by 11.9 gallons = 0.084 mpg

The Prius still wins by 0.034 mpg making it 68% better than the "ordinary car" ;)

15. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 8 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]522807[/snapback]</div>
    if i may be a teeny bit more technical, the gas mileage is calculated by the car's computer monitoring how much fuel is injected by the fuel injectors: duration and/or how often [rpm].

if the on-board computers shut down the internal combustion engine [ICE, as we call it here,] the fuel injectors aren't injecting at all, so the gasoline consumption during that "parked at a light" period is exactly = zero, and gets added into the overall total.

all non-hybrids burn gas when the engine's running, whether you're moving or stopped, and that's one reason that we waste so much gas in the USA... there are so many traffic jams and traffic lights where the car ain't moving, but the engine still is.

vote for roundabouts!
    :)

+af

16. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

So 0 MPG (when the Prius is sitting in a stopped position) is the same as 99.9 MPG (when the Prius is cruising on battery power alone) ?

These numbers are far apart, but if I understand what you all are saying, they have the same inpact on the average MPG of the Prius.

Maybe what I am thinking about is more how long one can go on a tank of gas. If you end up sitting in long traffic jams or sitting at alot of red lights, then you aren't burning the gas. Therefore, your tank will last longer.

I just don't see how the computer is factoring in all of that.

Even if I pay attention to how many miles I get out of a tank of gas, that still is not telling me how much gas I am saving by not having an engine that runs at stop lights.

Thanks for your patience ( I hope!!!)

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 9 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]523002[/snapback]</div>
    It's very, very easy. The computer totals all of the fuel squirted through the injectors, and totals the number of miles driven, then divides the total miles by the total fuel. That's all there is to it. Don't make it harder than it is.

For instantaneous mileage, the computer totals over a very short period. For the five minute bars, the computer totals over five minutes. For the average mileage, the computer totals from the last reset.

Tom

18. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

I get it now- it' about the fuel, not the rolling of the wheels. Thanks Tom.

19. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Oct 8 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]522901[/snapback]</div>

Check your criticism. I stated one gallon for each car. Totally valid math.

Your example has variable and irrelevent fuel quantities for each car, making your example irrelevant also. The advantage was placed where you wanted it.

20. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 9 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]523002[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, those two figures are totally different. 0 Mpg is just that. 0.
    99.9 electric is infinite MPG and plays a huge role on overall MPG. That the Prius' ultimate advantage.

The only way to know that is to know how much gas the Prius would use if it was idling, and mutiply it by how much time you spent at red light not idling.
    You are confusing the absence of fuel use with some sort of perceived fuel gain. It's like the old saying a Dollar saved is a Dollar earned. True, but not.
    And the root of this whole thread is the root of why Detroit disregarded this car as a gimmick to begin with. And also not true.