1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Six-month appraisal of Goodyear FuelMax

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cyberpriusII, Jun 14, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the Goodyear WEATHERHANDLER FuelMax that I purchased at Sears just the week or so before Christmas.

This is a different tire than the Goodyear ASSURANCE FuelMax. The Assurance is sold at many outlets, including Sears.

Only Sears sells the Weatherhandler FuelMax. Tread pattern is different on the two models.

So, six months and just about 6,000 miles. Lost two pounds of air all around. I keep them at the OEM 35 PSI front and 33 PSI rear. I have tried boosting the pressure up, but do not like the ride.

The first few days on these, my mpg went into the 50+ mpg range. Since then, it has settled down to what it was before with the original Integrity from Goodyear, and the Cooper GFE that followed the Integrity.

Treadwear is good, noise average. Handling in rain is very good. Cornering is very good and snow traction, the very little I do of it seems O.K.

Would I buy again?

Probably, if the price was right. I paid $313 for all four, including mounting, balancing, taxes, fees and a bribe thrown around here and there. :ROFLMAO:

Only thing is -- despite me telling them to use stick-on weights, they used clamps, which I made them replace.

Oh. For those who think the mpg is low, I do a lot of gravel road, steep hill driving or country roads...Very little highway or city streets.

Opps, guess I should say, I am pretty much stuck at 43 mpg....

#1 cyberpriusII, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    F8L and KennyGS like this.
  2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the nice write up. (y)

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I can say something nice about another Goodyear brand, the Assurance ComforTred. I replaced some sort of Bridgestone tire about 40K miles after I purchased the car used because they were worn out, noisy, and were making the car drift all over the road. I didn’t do a lot of shopping around for LRR or competitive pricing. I have used Goodyear in the past with favorable results. Firestone too. So the main selling features of this brand were the 80K warranty and the “Comfort” sound insulation layer. I was interested in sound dampening since I run tire pressures at 42F/40R. There was also a manufacturer rebate that lowered the drive-away price down to $525.

My driving pattern is basically the same, week after week. A 140 mile round trip commute 5 times a week. The route is fairly hilly with an elevation difference of 2100 feet higher at the distant end. Driving during all hours of the day (rotating shift worker) in typical Arizona weather which is usually dry and windy.

My mpg basically stayed the same when I switched tires, but improved 4-6 mpg as the tires broke in. The vehicle usually averages between 46 and 48 mpg, moving along at interstate speed most of the time. It has almost been two years driving on these tires now and nearing the 60K miles mark. Tread wear is still even all the way around and will most likely exceed the 80K warranty before replacement.

The overall handling of the vehicle is much improved with these tires. It still can get a little twitchy in the wind but nothing like the white-knuckle driving on the previous set. And I’m talking WIND, like head and crosswind in the 35 to 50 mph range sometimes. Then there is the quiet. The technology works. A very quiet ride.

Not a lot of inclement weather driving with these tires. We don’t get much here in AZ. There were times in the summer thunderstorm season when I could only make 7 to 10 mph for a couple of miles with maybe 2 to 3 inches of standing water on the road and hurricane-like conditions just outside the windshield. Then there were some winter storms that put an inch or more of slush on the road and even a couple mornings with some black ice. Plenty of typical Arizona drivers find themselves in the ditch on days like those.

I will definitely purchase another set of these tires.