1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Six new hybrid models from Toyota in 2012

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by schaumburgtoyota, Nov 16, 2010.

1. schaumburgtoyota

schaumburgtoyota New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In addition to the 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid, consumers will be able to enjoy some additional hybrid choices from Toyota. These gas-electric cars will be rolling out by the end of 2012, so we have some time to wait…As patiently as possible, which might be difficult if you are a hybrid enthusiast like my neighbor Mike…He can’t get enough of these environmentally friendly autos. Now, he has even more to look forward to!
    Toyota will be teaming up with Tesla Motors. To those of you unfamiliar with this company, it was started in 2003 by a group of individuals whose goal was to produce some sporty looking electric cars. Currently, you can find about 1,000 Tesla Roadster models spread out over 25 countries. These cool autos are emissions free, which puts less strain on the environment. Plus, they are just hot looking cars.
    One hybrid that Toyota will be rolling out is an all-electric RAV4 SUV. Anyone lucky enough to attend LA’s Auto Show this coming November will be able to check it out. It will feature Tesla’s electric powertrain system, which is a 248 HP, three phrase, four pole electric motor that can soar from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds. It’s not 100% clear if the all-electric RAV 4 will get the exact same system as found in the Tesla Roadster, but expect something in that power range. Sounds like a very exciting vehicle.
    Moreover, a plug-in Prius is in the works. The Prius with a gas-electric engine, but the plug-in version will be another Prius to consider, as it’s set to rival the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf which are being rolled out. The plug-in Prius will feature many of the same amenities current Prius lovers already enjoy.
    Other hybrid options are also in the works to be released by Toyota. By 2015, Toyota is working hard to have fuel-cell autos available in areas that have hydrogen fueling stations. The car world is certainly changing all the time, with hybrid models soaring their way up the popularity chart.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Most of this is old news. I will willingly take the bet against toyota producing any quantity of FC vehicles in the next 5 years. That dog hasn't been able to hunt for a while.

I would like to know what the 6 are. I think toyota is going in the right direction teaming with tesla to quickly getting out the rav4 bev. It's not going accellerate like the tesla roadster though, its big, heavy, and without the aerodynamics or suspension. It ought to be a great BEV SUV though. Anyone have better figures of battery pack size or price?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well they never said "all-new" models.. so I'm willing to bet that the Camry Hybrid is one of the new 2012 hybrids (it's due for a redesign in 2012 anyway).

Plus.. 2012 in the US? or 2012 anywhere in the world? cause that can include the Yaris Hybrid.

I'm willing to bet a RAV4 Hybrid is in the works alongside the RAV4 EV. The Prius Alpha can be another one too. Maybe that smaller Prius for countries that don't get the Yaris Hybrid???

That leaves one left in my mind...

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    prius V? Is the prius alpha different than the yaris hybrid?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you remember that teaser that Toyota posted with the blue Prius Alpha behind the normal Prius, you'll see that it's within a few inches of the current Prius (which is about Corolla-sized on the outside). The Yaris will be.. well a Yaris.

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think we have about five or six threads now on "Toyota to release X new hybrid/EV vehicles by the end of 2012."

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think they actually said 6 all new models and not refreshes, or something similar to that :). Maybe even 7 models.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yah . . . kinda makes me want to start a couple more

:madgrin:

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Camry would be a new model and not a refresh. It's already 5 years old.

10. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Marketing genius?!

I would only buy that "all new model" explanation if they changed the name - like when Acura killed the Integra and unveiled the Tsx/Rsx/ or whatever the letters are. I don't exactly see those on the road every day.

Or, how about the ... drum roll ... Toyota Cam-aro :D

11. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    LMAO! The fish keeps getting longer!
    In an attempt to out-do other reporters, this brazen reporter titles their article "Toyota to release ELEVEN new models..." !!!

Toyota Promises 11 New or Redesigned Hybrids by 2013

At this rate, by December 31st, we'll be at "Toyota to release 38 models..." !

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they meant all new never been hybrid before... and i can see 13 all together by 2013 as well, because a lot cars will be getting redesigns, like Auris, HH, GS, LS.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now is the calm before the storm. Toyota is loading up to unleash a well planned line of products.

Competition should prepare and bring out the big guns as well.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I see. That'll be interesting!

lol.

It'll be the RSX... which is now dead.

15. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member