1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Size matters -- or does it -- Oil filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I usually use NAPA Gold oil filters, but I was passing a Toyota dealer and bought the REAL Toyota filter for the Prius. A real small thing. Smaller than the NAPA.

Put it on yesterday, but it has been bugging me. I did some google work and found some discussion, some on BITOG, about it being better to get a bigger filter. This was not Prius specific, BTW.

I see Toyota actually has at least one acceptable alternative, which is longer, but what is the thought. Does it matter?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the correct, short Toyota filter but it would not hurt to use the longer filter.

m.wynn likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a tiny motor that holds 3.5 quarts. If you use decent oil there's really not much to filter. The oem filter is probably far superior to anything that napa makes anyway.
    If your going to spend extra money spend it on better oil.

♡myPeeus and m.wynn like this.
  4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Bigger filter only means slightly longer filter life as there is more filter area to do the job. Its still gonna have similar filtration performance as the smaller filter. And since the OCI is 5k or 6mos for synthetic, it may be a waste in the end. Now if this was for the Gen4 Prius where the OCI is twice as long, it would be beneficial I would think.

5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use the F1 rather than the F2 on our family '07 (170k miles) and have for ~50k miles. They both list for $5.41, so I go with the warm fuzzy of the slightly larger filtering media. Also, it allows a full 4 quarts to be dumped in the sump brain-dead-style with only a whisker of overfill. Agree with ed in that the Denso filters are highly regarded as good quality. I do love the F2 on my old faithful John Deere 14SB, though...

Attached Files:

SFO, Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.
  6. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to argue with the upsizing option as I don't have much in the game either way.

In the past I've tried one of those fancy Fram Ultra XG3600 models (oversized, paid retail), and recently I've been using an Mobile1 filter (oversized m1-209, found a deal and stocked up).

Seriously doubt it matters much, but a bigger filter will give you more oil capacity (maybe a 1/4 quart in the above options). Also a larger filter allows for additional filtering media, which also doesn't matter much if you change the oil often. The only benefit seen so far from a longer package is not needing to buy or use a special tool, the increased length turns my routine maintenance into a single hand job, as it extends just that little bit more.

Even if you're undecided on going bigger (or just happy with your OEM limitations), it might be a good idea to include a high temp neodymium magnet on the outside of the filter housing. It should help with capturing some of the smaller sized particles that the oil filter media cannot (stuff around 25 microns and less).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. bordeaaj

bordeaaj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any validity to this explanation from the Sigma Automotive website? If so, would there be any small impact on mileage?

Oil Technology Portal Page :: Sigma Automotive

Upsize oil filter.
    Small stock oil filters run with quite a high back pressure and the bypass valve is engineered to trip at about 3,500 RPM, once it trips, your oil is no longer being filtered. Tripping also happens as your oil filter starts to clog up. Please note: Bigger filter = lower back pressure = higher RPM threshold for the bypass valve to trip = less engine power loss in the filter. Bigger filter = better filtering & more power at low to mid revs. Bigger filter = more oil = less stress on the oil.

Upgrade oil filter. 2 methods to achieve this: Use oil filters with higher filtration capacity like the AMSOil Ea and/or use magnets like FilterMAG to take detrimental metallic particles out of circulation.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [QUOTE="CooCooCaChoo, post: 2520826, member: 133224"And since the OCI is 5k or 6mos for synthetic, it may be a waste in the end.[/QUOTE]
    5K miles/6months with conventional oil for Gen2.
    Gen3 are to only run synthetic and rated for 10K miles/12months.

The reality, a Gen2 can run synthetic and have the same long OCI as the Gen3.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it ain't broke why fix it? How much more does this larger capacity oil filter cost?

People who have been running OEM filters and performing regular maintenance, have been getting lots of miles w/o issue.

OEM oil filter from Camelback; $3.95 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    oil drain plug crush washer, $0.95 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    The crush washer could be used twice. After the 1st removal, mark the side that faced the oil pan, and was crushed, w/ a sharpie. Flip side, so the flat side that was against the drain plug bolt will now face the oil pan to get crushed and provide a leak free seal.

The drawback with Camelback's free shipping is the purchase minimum, so stock up on maintenance parts and/or ask your DIY riends with Toyota's to purchase some maintenance parts too.