1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Size of holes for front speakers (non-JBL)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by phileFriendly, Jul 9, 2005.

1. phileFriendly

phileFriendly New Member

I decided to start upgrading my speakers, and bought a pair of Infinity 6002I 2-ways for the back and a pair of Infinity 6000CS components for the front. Got some great deals on these from one of those returns/refurbished item dealers on ebay (about $75 all together).

Anyhow, I went to use Sparky's guide for the back doors, which worked great _except_ the fact that my speakers didn't come with the plastic mounting bracket pictured in his guide. All I had was the speakers and a metal ring that was slightly too small to cover the hole from the original speaker. I ended up making my own bracket out of pieces of wood... it seems to work but is pretty ghetto. Anyhow, I'm wondering if I should expect the same problems when I do the fronts? Are the holes the same size as in the rear, or are they smaller?

thanks!

2. bobc

bobc New Member

Yes, unfortunately for you, the holes for the front speakers are the same size as the holes in the rear door. Can you fabricate something out of metal similar to what Sparky had?

Or, how about if you go to the local installer. Maybe they have tons of these adaptor rings just sitting around since some speakers come with 2, 3, or 4 sets of these rings...

3. phileFriendly

phileFriendly New Member

I asked a couple local installers, and none of them sell mounting brackets on their own. In fact, they just custom build their own stuff as necessary. I think the wood bracket is OK, but it just feels kind of sketchy using plywood in my brand new car :roll:

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm thinking something like this:

http://www.scosche.com/scosche.aspx?Catego...8&ItemID=SAC656
    is about as close as you can get. If you can't find them locally, http://www.uscaraudio.com/cgi-bin/usstore....atalogno=SAC656 has them (I've never bought anything from them, so I don't know how reputable they are).

They also make a similar looking one for the Avalon/Celica/Echo, but since it sticks out some like the stock ring, there might be clearance problems with the door panel. I can see the indentation on the red foam gasket surrounding the stock speaker from where the door panel contacts it. Aftermarket speakers usually have thicker lips, so unless the Scosche ring was a lot shallower, there might be interference problems.