1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skid plate issues

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by 2 Pups, Jan 29, 2022.

1. 2 Pups

2 Pups Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My 2017 (3) is my 3rd Prius in the last 10 years or so. I put 400k miles on my 2009 & 569k miles on my 2013. I've had skid plate issues with each car and now dealing with it on my 2017 (174k). It just occured to me that maybe the oil change guys are not replacing all the bolts when they change the oil.

Drives me nuts. Anyone else have to deal with this multiple times? What was the cure? I recall laying in a puddle of slush one winter and cutting the damn thing off because it kept flopping and dragging on the ground. I'd like to fix it this time correctly, once and for all. Thoughts?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think most people cut it off and leave it off

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reading almost all Gen 4 posts in last 5 years - haven't read about that. There have been comments about lack of ground clearance, but haven't read that issue.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota uses weak plastic push in rivets to hold the plastic under plates on to the body of the car. These plastic or nylon 6-6 plastic rivets get brittle with age, cold and UV light reflecting on them off the pavement. Even the M10 washer hex head screws will cut into the softer plastic and cut holes into the undercover in a phenomenon that engineers call "punch through."

To strengthen the fasteners, I use these one inch 1/4 inch diameter hole neoprene stainless steel washers washers with soft contact of the plastic under panel over at least six times the surface area of the original washer heads. The panel needs to rip and tear off instead of punching through. The large neoprene lined washers have recently been available on Amazon.

In places fastened with plastic rivets, I have enlarged the holes that they go into and inserted and clinched M6 riven nuts. Then I fasten the panel with M6 screws and the neoprene lined washers.

This might take a couple of hours and a few dollars, but it is much less cheaper than replacement under panels.

2 Pups likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since I did mine, I have found these less expensive ones.

#5 Georgina Rudkus, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022