1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS and dome light and auto lock/unlock?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jonjonbear, Oct 3, 2007.

1. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all..
    Still in my first week with my new '08 Touring. It has the SKS and have been enjoying that but have a question. I have seen several posts referring to the dome lights coming on automatically when you get in range of the sensors..Mine doesn't do this..Was this feature discontinued or have I somehow not enabled it? The dome light does turn on when I open the doors..
    Also in the owners manual there is a section of dealer customizable features. There is a section for the door locks and it shows what is defaulted to on or off..One feature is "speed sensitive locking" which is default off and then it has "auto unlock when shifting to park" and "auto lock when shifting to anything but park" and these are listed to be default on but it doesn't do that either. Could these have been turned off in port and do older models have this in the manual (04-07)? I would love to enable auto door lock/unlock without having to add circuitry and I am wondering if this is new for the '08?

Thanks!
    John

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. I'm not aware that the Prius has auto-locking (dealer customisable or not).

The dome lights should come on when you approach the car. If they come on when you open the door, then you have it in the right position.

Have you tried it at night?

3. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 3 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]520825[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah..It was in the garage..Other '08 drivers seeing this?
    Will have to try again.
    On the locks..Then what would those references be in the manual? That was why I hope someone with an older one looks in their manual to see if those options are listed there. Maybe it is a subtle change in the '08 electronics? Heck it makes sense..My 2000 Silverado does it. :blink:
    Maybe the dome light thing is another change...

John

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be a subtle change cause I'm pretty darn sure it's not in my manual (I read all of it except the baby seat part and the DIY maintenance part. It's just to cover myself even though most of the stuff is self-explanatory). If the 2008 does indeed have auto-lock, it's about freaking time lol.

Hmm.. and you have SKS-enabled I assume? and the dome lights to DOOR?

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Oct 3 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]520810[/snapback]</div>
    Just a quick question. Are the doors locked or not? On my 2005 the lights come on when the doors are locked, but not when unlocked.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 3 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]520901[/snapback]</div>
    Good thinking. That might be it.

7. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    mine only comes on when the doors are locked and i get within sensor range.....

8. MSQ

MSQ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj @ Oct 3 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]520950[/snapback]</div>

I have an 08' and if the doors are locked the lights do come on when I approach.

On page 489 of my manual it lists some default and customizable settings. The following are listed as default settings - the customizable setting is the opposite.

Speed-detecting automatic door lock function is OFF

Opening driver's door unlocks all doors is OFF

Shift the shift lever to "P"unlocks all doors is ON (this does not work on mine)

Shift the shift lever to positions other than "P' locks all doors is ON (this does not work on mine)

Unfortunately the manual doesn't give the slightest hint on how to make changes other than going to the dealer.

I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have this looked at. If anyone has a suggestion to make the auto lock and unlock work please let us know.

Thanks,

MSQ. 0o0~

9. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Oct 3 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]520836[/snapback]</div>
    Okay the dome light does light as you approach the car, as long as the doors are locked! :rolleyes:
    When I was trying it in the garage they were not. But that does work! Very cool..

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Oct 4 2007, 07:40 AM) [snapback]521072[/snapback]</div>
    That's caused me a bit of confusion when I was first checking to see if the doors were shut and no lights left on: "Hey, I thought I turned those lights off..." Now I've learned to always lock my Prius, which checks for open doors and turns off the lights. If you leave a light on, you will see it as soon as you push the lock button.

Tom

11. 07seaside

07seaside New Member

I have had my '07 for about a month and read the manual first thing. I don't recall the '07 having speed sensitive locks (wish it did).
    I was able to re-program my SKS so that all the doors unlock when I touch the sensor on the front door handle. The instructions are in the manual but not really intuitive.
    As far as the lights coming on when I approach, that does happen.
    If you'd like, I can look in the manual and tell you what the procedure is for re-programming the SKS

12. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSQ @ Oct 4 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]521028[/snapback]</div>

Hello MSQ,
    I think it is unfortunate that Toyota makes these features unavailable without going to the dealer, but if your dealer can make these changes please let us know as it would be worth a trip to get those auto locks working. If they do also let us know how they function.
    Thanks!
    John

13. MSQ

MSQ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Oct 4 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]521117[/snapback]</div>

Unfortunate indeed, but even more unfortunate is they had no clue when I went there. They told me the computer didn't show any options when they hooked up my car, furthermore they reprogrammed my key back to its default.

Not really what I was expecting, but not a surprise either. I think the "downfall" of having a car that doesn't break is not being able to find people to work on them :)

I'm hoping to be able to get to another dealer tomorrow or Saturday. I'll keep you posted.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This may be one of those options that are available in other places than the US, like the automatic lights.