1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS and pace makers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jun 10, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has listed that the SKS system can be disabled for those with pace makers, etc. if there's concern for interference.

That being said, should a potential buyer be concerned w/ the passive RF used by swiping the key in front of the power switch, or with the standard keyless entry type RF if SKS is disabled? Clearly, I'd steer such a buyer to Prius II or Prius III (why pay for 3 door if you can't use it?).

Better question - what types of RF are known to interfere with heart devices?

My sales guy called to ask me the question and I could only respond with what I had read in the NCF and owner's manual. Better understanding the impact would allow a better response.

For reference, SKS (Gen II) operates at 134kHz (from car to FOB) and 312 MHz (from FOB to car). I'm going to assume Gen III operates similarly, but the NCF isn't specific.

2. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On my techinfo search, I did find the procedure to disable SKS entirely:

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe this is a case of being overly cautious. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to drive a Prius if I had a pacemaker. The RF fields are very small. On the other hand, no one, including me, wants the liability, so you have to give each individual the option.

Tom

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you want to have some fun, get a portable AM radio that can tune the long wave band. Set the radio to 269 KHz (2nd harmonic of the 134.5 KHz signal). As you approach a locked Prius with SKS active, the radio will make a thump-thump-thump sound that I'd believe came from the sonar on a submarine. The sound is loudest by the front doors. If you're carrying a valid keyfob, then the thumping changes at the detection range, about 3 feet. Unlock the car and the door transmitters go quiet, but the interior transmitter starts up. Start the car and it all goes quiet.

I call my radio a "Prius Detector". Sort of like a Geiger counter. Now if your heart starts matching the rhythm of the SKS signal, I'd be worried.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom, I'm with you - overly cautious, but there are certain cases where if you get within inches of any source of RF, certain devices may malfunction (or monitors may distort in the case of cell phones).

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like a CYA (Cover Your A$$) statement that the Toyota lawyers added to protect Toyota Motors from another frivolous lawsuit instigated by another unemployed lawyer.

Keith

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I'm inclined to agree. Not sure I could advise my sales guy to pass *that* message onto his potential customer though.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you do, make it on a note with letters cut from a newspaper. Wear gloves.

Tom

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Funny! So people with pacemakers don't go in WiFi areas (no coffee for them!) or use cellphones or get within say, 50' of someone with one? A cellphone can emit up to 0.60 Watts of power (it adjusts automatically on command from the tower it connects to). How about a mobile radio, such as police or fire? Better stay at least 1000' from them as they use up to 100 Watts! Even the handhelds are 5W typically.

I suspect the pacemaker manufacturers are very careful in the design stage to ensure they are safe. Heck, some of them use "RF" to charge the battery (non-contact charging).

But of course these days "sue" is a verb not a noun, especially in the US.

10. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a pacemaker/defibrillator combo. If I worried about all the CYA statements I would never leave the house. As it is I had SKS on my 2006 Prius and have it on my cars today. I go through metal detectors, use microwaves, cell phones, have my house fully networked and a thousand other things. One of these days I will fall down and not get up but it won't be from any of the above. :rockon:

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Stay away from Jayman's bar and you'll be fine!

12. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, Rob,
    Kool! I have to try that! have to remeber to throw my Sony ICF-SW7600G in the car next time I'm out.
    Are you a Ham? SWL? Electronic Hobbyist? I collect (mostly antique) radios and listen to Short Wave, Long Wave, etc.)

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That Sony should do fine. I have a Grundig Satellit 500, about 1990 vintage. It has direct digital input of the frequency, so there's no need to scan around like with an analog tuner.

In looking up the manual for the Sony , I came across the specifications for a Grundig Satellit 800. It can tune the 134.5 signal directly. I didn't think they made any radios with that capability, but it is obviously preferable to tuning the second harmonic.

I was a Ham back in high school, but really didn't have the money to get any decent equipment. SWL has always been interesting, particularly back when Radio Moscow was in full press anti-American mode. I don't know how accurate they were, but it certainly wasn't sanitized like the local newspaper.

I built a HeathKit AR-15 stereo receiver back about 1972. The electrolytics in the power supply have failed, so the 60-cycle hum makes it useless in its current condition. It's still a superior design to the modern stuff from Best Buy and such. Individual gain controls for every input, so the loudness doesn't bounce around as you switch between sources. And a flywheel on the tuning knob - don't get that anymore. It's really strange to look inside a modern hi-fi unit - the case is the same size as older units, but inside there is mostly open space.

Antique radios? Would that be ones with an 80 rectifier tube, or a trio of 45 final outputs? Maybe a speaker with an electromagnet where the permanent magnet goes in modern units? Variable condenser tuning? Do you understand the theory of why a pentode is better than a triode?

Have fun with your Prius detector...

14. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    May I ask where on TIS you located that procedure? I searched all over and couldn't seem to find it. Thanks!