1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS and two 2005 Prius-Sync. the keys?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by laserbill, Oct 21, 2005.

1. laserbill

laserbill New Member

We just took delivery of our second 2005 Prius. Is it possible to synchonize the two differnt SKS fobs so we don't have to carry both all the time? If possible, what is involved and is there any down side?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been told that it is possible, though I'm not confident that those who told me were correct.(at least I've never heard of anyone who's successfully accomplished it). PM Talonts as I think he's one that was sure it could be done. You'll need details and you'll need to talk directly to the Prius tech b/c I can just about 100% guarantee you that the service guys will tell you it can't be done.

Both cars and all fobs have to be at the dealer, with the tech, at the same time. If it can't be done with the THHT then it would require matched SKS ECUs to make it happen.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I don't understand, why do you carry two and not one?

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think they have 2 Prii and want to synchronize the FOBs so they can use 1 for both cars and not have to carry 2 FOBs or 1 for each car all the time...or am I reading it wrong??

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

ohh, thanks, that makes sense now

6. HeuristicsInc

HeuristicsInc New Member

that brings up a question - let's say you walk by your prius with the thingy in your pocket - if you're close enough, it'll unlock, right? and then you continue on your way without going in the car... will it re-lock after some delay, or what? do we have to worry about accidentally unlocking our car without realizing it?
    this might happen if you did what the first poster is trying to do...
    -bill

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, the car doesn't unlock until you touch the inside of the handle.

8. laserbill

laserbill New Member

Yes, you all are reading my question correctly. I wish to be able to use just one fob for both cars. It would be less stuff to carry in my pocket and give me two "extra" fobs for when I lose one or run it through the washing machine.

Evan, you are correct, when I asked the dealer, I got the fast "no" for an awnser.

I asked if they were sure, the gave me the puzzled look and told me that each fob is unique to each car due to the "chip". At that point I did not want to press the point as I would not want these folks doing anything to the car that they are unfamiliar with. Sometimes if is difficult to get the oil changed correctly, let alone reprograming at least two fobs and one car.

9. jrohland

jrohland Guest

I can't see any downside from a security point to using one fob for your two cars. However, I am not a security expert.

jrohland
    Arlington, Virginia, USA