1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS battery removal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fphinney, Oct 7, 2006.

1. fphinney

fphinney Member

If you need to get to the battery in your SKS keyfob, there is a great illustrated website @
    http://www.vfaq.net/mods/keyfob.html

If I had not found this website, I know I would have NEVER figured it out.

I didn't have the correct sized Phillips screwdriver - so I used a slottled blade screwdriver that just fit inside the screw head. Those screws are seated snugly!

Good luck,

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Not sure on the 2006, but my 2004 Owner's Manual provides an illustration and instructions. Section 2-1 - Operation of Instruments and Controls - pp.36-37.

Seems strange that a 2006 would require a battery replacement, my 2004 was actually manufactured in Nov 2003 and the batteries in both fobs are still strong.

3. fphinney

fphinney Member

Charles -

I chose to remove my SKS battery, because I wanted to use my second SKS as "spare key."
    1. First I removed the metal key. I put that in a magnetic keybox & stashed it on the underside of the car. This gives me a way to get into the car, in case I lose my primary SKS.
    2. Then I removed the battery from the second SKS. I hid this SKS inside the car. If I need to use it, I just plug it into the dash & I'm on my way.
    3. By removing the battery there isn't any 2-way communications with the deadened SKS. That way it can be stored in the car without causing conflicts.
    Does this clear things up?

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) YEP.... that makes sense. Thanks for your reply.