1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigdaddy, Sep 4, 2006.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Yesterday, I posted that I was needing to change the battery in my fob. The reason being I suddenly could not open doors or start the car with the SKS.

Well, I just changed the battery and it still does not work. I removed the fob from my keychain (2 rfid chips and an usb stick on it), thinking it was interference. Still nothing. Tried the other fob, still nothing.

The lock and unlock buttons work on both fobs, and I can start the car by inserting the key.

I guess this is a failure with the SKS in the car itself? I tried searching n (not too hard) priuschat, found not much. Will continue to search.

Are there fuses or anything like that I need to check, or is this a dealer (under warranty I hope) fix? 26K on the car, 14 months old.

Thanks,

bigdaddy

(Edit: I am thinking back to yesterday morning when this stopped working. I had driven the car and parked. Pressed P and got out and was walking away. I tried locking the doors with the lock button on the FOB and it would not lock. I had left the car on. I went back, pressed the power button (once or twice, can't remember, to turn off the car. Locked the car and left. Upon return the SKS would not work. Did I put it in some sort of weird mode by leaving the car on and pressing the fob buttons? power buttons while leaning in the car with the fob in my pocket close to outside the car? Just wondering if related or coincidence?)

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i know this is probably insultingly obvious, but you didn't bump the sks button under the steering wheel did ya?

have you checked all the doors? can you lock the doors with the black button?

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Hey, guess what everyone. There is a little round black button labled Key underneath the steering wheel. If you accidentally push it, then your SKS stops working. Push it again, it all starts working again.

(Thanks Galaxee. Not insulting. Here's how it happened: Family and I going to aquarium, backing out of driveway, kid screams, I hit brakes and the coffee mug overturns off the dash onto my legs and dash in front of me. I panic and jump out of car (after hitting P), went inside and got wet rag to clean it up. Must have hit the button while wiping the coffee off of the entire front panel.)

At least I have a fresh battery in the FOB. Consider my annual prophylactic maintenance done!