1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sks fob guts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Mar 24, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH pulled apart a dead SKS fob at work today and brought it home to tinker with. i thought i'd share the results with anyone interested.

as a side note, after he pulled the two halves apart the little red light in the corner doesn't blink anymore when you put it back together and press any of the buttons. (read: don't try this at home if you don't want to replace your fob :lol:)

[attachmentid=2720]

[attachmentid=2721]

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I'm trying to imagine if the SKS was developed in the 50s. It'd probably be the size of a carton of cigarettes. :)

3. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

You mean the size of a large DVD player.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    "portable" calculators developed in the late 60's were larger than the 7" DVD players of today.

a fob in the 50's would have been closer to a CASE of cigarettes

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    :D Maybe.

It reminds me of a couple of examples. In Tom Swift and his Television Detector, Tom built his friend a portable transmitter (by 1930s standards). In Back to the Future III the 1955 Doc has to replicate a chip using 1955 technology. That part had to be put on the hood. :)

There was a 60s World's Fair where they showed a pager. It was about the size of two packs of cigarettes stuck end to end. All it did was buzz. The person had to call a service and find out who was calling. Wow.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the IC was invented in 1957... so we need to discount movie fiction as a reference point

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

was the LED working before he took it apart? or should I add this to my list of things not to try and fix? so far it includes pocket watches and cameras and assorted cheap electronic junk. auto tranny's on up don't pose much of a problem.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    good point... so exactly how dead was this dead fob??

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Quelle hombre. DH seems like he could have a shot at working at Toyota Central after reading "The Prius That Shook The World" seems like their kinda guy

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the light did indeed work. we think it just won't go back tightly enough for the battery contacts to work right.

it's normally glued together, so this one is destroyed. he had to really pry at it to get it open. we thought we'd satisfy everyone' curiosity so noone else FUBAR'ed their own FOB :lol:

the "unlock" button was stuck and didn't work, which is why it was replaced. but the other stuff was fine.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm, could be something to think about. he only likes doing the really screwed up cars that come in- timing belts and brake lines don't do it for him. working out a design could be right up his alley, as long as he could rip things apart and put them back together and get ridiculously dirty doing so :lol:

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was "invented" in 1957 would hardly qualify as an IC, as we know it today. At most, the device contained 2 or 3 transistors. Oooooohh! :blink:
    Large Scale Integration didn't really begin happening until the early '70's, just when I was in tech school. I still remember all those 7400-series TTL chips that we thought were so "high tech" at the time. :D
    By "Back to the Future" time, 1985, VLSI was in full swing, and duplicating the circuitry using '50's technology would have quite a challenge. Go Doc!
    Wikipedia