1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. socalgsx

socalgsx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought my car last night and I cant figure out how to use my smart key feature. I figured that I would check here before I go back to the dealership today.
    It seem like the "set" button under the dash does not stay pushed in but I'm not really sure if you can tell if its pushed in or not.
    Also I read that if the battery is dead that it would not work. But... I think that if the battery was dead in the FOB itself that when I insert it into the dash that the car would not start. I dont know if thats true or not.

Any help would be great

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to be rude, but have you read your owner's manual. There is a good description of how the SKS works.

With SKS you don't have to insert the fob into the slot, you just have to have the fob with you. Start the car without inserting the fob in the slot. If it doesn't start, push the button under the steering column to turn the system on.

The batteries in the fob have nothing to do with starting the car. They are there to power the remote lock, unlock, and panic buttons on the fob.

3. socalgsx

socalgsx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No offense taken I understand that people ask before they read.
    I read the entire section on the SKS adn I cant get it to work still.
    I read that if the FOB battery gets low or goes dead that the SKS will not work.
    Also I am unsure if you can actually tell if the button under the dash is pushed in or not I tried it both ways and I cant figure it out.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a trip back to the dealer is in order. Have them go over the entire car with you, especially the SKS. They obviously didn't do their job when you picked up the car.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the car will not start without the FOB in the holder and you are positive that the SKS is turned on the FOB batteries may be the cause.
    There are easy instructions on replacing the batteries in the FOB inside the owners manual. But to save you the time
    1) First you remove the mechanical key from the FOB.
    2) Then while fully depressing the same button (latch) that releases the mechanical key and slide the plate off the FOB that has the Toyota emblem on it.
    3) The battery is held in with 4 tiny phillips screws, remove screws
    4) The battery model # is CR2032 and should be easy to find at any place that sells watch batteries. Replace
    5) Put back to gether in reverse order

I hope this helps, Typically a FOB battery lasts about an average of 3 years.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let me make a minor correction to an earlier post:

1) When inserted into the slot, the fob is a passive device and does not require a working battery.

2) When used in SKS mode, the fob requires a working battery to unlock the doors and start the car.

3) The key button under the wheel disables the SKS. When it is disabled, the fob must be inserted into the slot to start the car.

Tom

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've only used the SKS button under the dash a couple of times but as I remember the key has a good bit of travel but if it won't stay in position then it is definitely time for a dealer visit. They should have checked & demonstrated it.

8. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this.

Does the "lock" button on the fob work? Push it and see if it locks your car. If it does, chances are that your fob's batteries are working.

Now, try to open the door, if the car unlocks automatically, the SKS is working.

If it doesn't, push the unlock button and click the SKS on/off switch ONCE.

Then repeat the above.