1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sks key fob distance cut in half

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by problemchild, Dec 15, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used to be able to get in my car throw the kets in the cup holder and start the car. Now I have to hold the key in front of the power button. I tried my other brand new fob and no joy.

Any ideas?

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Low (or old) batteries I'll bet. Or something is blocking the signal that wasn't there before (metal cup liner)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *edit--sorry for the 'thinking out loud as I typed'...my conclusion should be evident but I realize I wasn't all that clear at the start.

That doesn't really make sense....the oscillator is located in the center arm-rest. There's one in the key slot too, of course, but I thought the distance/range for that was very short and required the key to be in the slot (though I can't be sure that's true at all).

I wonder if that center oscillator could be bad? Any chance any of your seat wiring could have cut the power to it or anything?

Does the SKS still work normally for the doors?

My first guess would be that center oscillator being bad based upon what little you've posted so far.