1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS leaving the car while it is on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spinjunkie53, Jul 9, 2006.

1. spinjunkie53

spinjunkie53 New Member

I dropped my boyfriend off and drove a away. Strange light comes on the dash with a key with a line drawn through it. I didnt see this ICON in the users manual. Then I realized my boyfriend had the SKS on him when he got out. The car kept going though and I turned around and drove about 5 minutes to go back and get the SKS from him. Does anyone know if the car would have eventually shut off if I didnt retreive my SKS right away? I assume if I had turned the car off, I would have been in big trouble if my boyfriend had gotten another ride and disappeared with my SKS :-(

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

You got it... it will run fine until you shut off, then you are stuck w/o the fob.

3. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spinjunkie53 @ Jul 9 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]283462[/snapback]</div>
    NEVER let your boyfriend touch your fob! :eek:

And don't let him put your fob in his pocket, either!

It's your Prius, you drive it. If he is not comfortable enough in his masculinity to let a woman drive him around, find another boyfriend.

And yes, once you park the car and hit "power off" the car won't start again until someone with the correct fob comes along and sits in it. So, yes, you were lucky this time!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    These stories surface from time to time. Every once and a while my wife and I will stop at the grocery store on the way home from the gym. She carries a purse and I have no pockets. In this situation, I'm perfectly comfortable dropping her off at the store with the key and parking the car. We'll be back at the car together to leave.

On the up side, if your car is ever stolen or carjacked or whatever, the theives will only get as far as they go until they turn the car off. That is, if you take the fob with you, say in your pocket or purse.