1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sks occasionally does not work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jmann, Jun 2, 2009.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    here is the problem: I occasionally walk up to my car, and the doors do not unlock despite the SKS key in my pocket is right next to the door. I have to then take the key out of by pocket and press the unlock button. It is not a battery issue, though I keep on replacing the batteries anyway. I have not yet done any systematic testing to identify the relation of this problem to a specific key fob, door, etc.

The problem is a royal pain in the nice person, especially in the rain or when the key is burred in a pants pocket in the bottom of a gym bag.

any thoughts? 2006 prius. Warranty is up in a few weeks.

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar problem as I keep my keys/FOB in a shoulder bag with all my other crap. I notice that I have to take out the FOB for it to work (only sometimes). The only thing I can think of is if you have your FOB close to your cell phone. If that is the case, it may be cause for interference. Can anyone else chime in and give some insight?

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The manual states that wet weather can prevent proper performance. I've also found that depending on how I'm standing and how I approach the vehicle, the key can be outside the effective range even though I'm still very close to the car (that may explain why it happens with the gym bag).

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any electronic device (cell phone) or mass of metal (keys, coins) next to the fob can interfere with it. Keep the fob in a pocket or pouch by itself.

Check the 12V battery voltage at the jump points under the hood. Weird stuff can happen when that battery is near death (that is, 12.0 or less). With the car OFF it should measure 12.6 V to 12.8V. If you don't have a voltmeter use the selftest procedure given here:
    Checking 12v Battery Health - Hybrid Car Forums

5. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the catch, however, is that is always works inside of the car. I'll put the bag behind the driver's seat, and the car starts every time without incident.

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jmann,
    It seems to me that the sensor inside the driver's door is weak or on the verge of failing.
    Try the passenger side door some times just to nail down the cause.
    I don't think it is the fob based on your description.