1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sincitymedic, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sincitymedic

sincitymedic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have 2 smart keys that were issued with my Prius. I've been using the same one for > 1 yr now. Is there any reason I should switch to the other one that was provided? It has been sitting in my desk drawer for the last 1 1/2 years.

Thanks.....

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be good to try it out and make sure it's still working (I'm confident it will). There's some limit to the rolling security code and after so many uses with just one fob you could, in theory, get outside the usable code range in the other fob.....but I think it takes 17,000 actuations or something like that to exceed the built in code limits.

So...why not try it out, make sure the battery is still good and that the fob still starts..it'll reset the code and put your mind at ease.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's some limit to the rolling security code and after so many uses with just one fob you could, in theory, get outside the usable code range in the other fob

Don't worry about the code rolling. The SKS system is at least dual channels (since we have two separate keys). One channel deals with the code rolling of one key. The only thing you need to worry is the battery. However, if the one you use the most is still working fine, then, there is no reason to worry about the other one that has been sitting most of the time.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The SKS has four channels, which is why each Prius can be paired with four fobs. Each channel maintains its own rolling code sequence.

The rolling code problem would manifest itself if you used a fob with more than one car. In that case the fob would get ahead of car #1 while responding to car #2. There is some buffer range in the codes, but if used extensively on only one car it would loose synchronization with the other car.

Tom