1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. ozarkretiree

ozarkretiree Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2007 Touring Model Package 6.
    245,000 on odometer. Swam with one original SKS-ruined it. Laundered second-ruined it. Finally bought SKS silver back from salvage dealer, had it programed by local Toyota dealer but stupidly threw both water damaged OEM keys in trash without removing the mechanical mini key. Been gone for 6 weeks in our Avalon and now 12V battery is dead. How do I get into car to jump the battery? Double dumb I know but now stuck. Please help.

2. ozarkretiree

ozarkretiree Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just had a thought. Maybe Toyota can cut me a mechanical key from their VIN record.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There’s a mechanical key built into the fob. Remove it to unlock the door.

The 12V is in the cargo area. Once inside, fold down the rear seats so that you have easier access to the cargo area.

Once inside the cargo area, lift up and fold back the false floor (just half of it is fine). Facing the rear window, locate a small plastic cover in the black bin you’ve just revealed when you folded back the floor, roughly in the centre of the car. Remove the black plastic cover. There’s a small/short piece of metal that acts as the manual release for the hatch. Once you’ve located it, push it left or right (I forgot which direction) to release the latch and then push up on the hatch to open it.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OP stated: stupidly threw both water damaged OEM keys in trash without removing the mechanical mini key

That's unfortunate. Most likely the key fob you purchased at a salvage yard doesn't have the correct mechanical key. Unless you got really lucky and the Toyo dealer made one for you. Time to call a locksmith or AAA to get the door open. Once the door is open all you need to do is pop the hood to get access to the underhood jump point, where you can connect a charger to recharge the 12v battery.

Kinda crazy to throw away those fobs, since they have RFID chips in them that will allow you to start the car by inserting the fob into the slot on the dash.