1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Slaloming"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by meezercat, Jul 1, 2006.

1. meezercat

meezercat New Member

So when I was buying the car today, the sales guy told me I should use the "slalom" method to maximize my fuel economy. Which is basically, get the car up to 70 mph, then let it slow down to 50, then go back up to 70, etc.

Now, for one, I usually am driving in insanely heavy traffic so this wouldn't even be possible. But for those times that it would be possible, I can just see it inciting road rage for the person behind me.

I'm not sure this would be a good idea even if it did work.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that will get you worse gas mileage. the term is generally pulse and glide. the best way to do it is to accelerate to your target speed (maybe a 1-2 over) then as you reach target, let up on the gas until you see 99.9 mpg on display. try your best to maintain speed and keep it at 99.9. you will slowly slow down if on level ground unless going real slow. when the ICE kicks in. (you will know this because mpg's drop to the 20's) then accelerate slightly "pulse" back up to a few mpg's over and then "glide" again. take advantages of downhill slopes to increase speed.

what you were told was by someone on crack. your mileage WILL SUFFER anytime you get up to 70 mph no matter what.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup,
    Sounds like your salesguy has heard of Pulse & Glide but has a very inaccurate understanding of how/when/why to do it.

But, as stated above, don't do that. Pulse and glide only works at speeds below 42mph, and only with special technique and practice.

4. meezercat

meezercat New Member

This is fascinating stuff. I clearly have a lot to learn! :)