1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SLI 2 installation complete!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aminorjourney, Jun 23, 2008.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,

We've just finished properly installing the SLI2 iPod Interface. I had installed it a few weeks ago as a test to make sure the equipment worked, but hadn't actually installed it. Dash removal was a complete breeze. Of course, on the UK spec Prius you have to remove things in a slightly different order to the LHD models. Here's how I did the installation in Velma, with a JBL sound system.

1. Remove right-hand vent panel, taking care to not get ignition button caught. I actually squeezed the back of the power switch to remove the connector and free the panel completely.
    2. Pull the lower panel behind steering wheel down. It doesn't need to be removed - just pulled down enough to pull the top trim panel out.
    3. Pull the upper Trim panel behind the steering wheel.
    4. Pull out the vent trim panel next to the MFD and Steering wheel. This will hang loose. Make sure you don't catch or damage the P switch!
    5. Open up both top and bottom glove box lids. Having them open is important so you don't screw up the next panel you're going to remove.
    6. Remove the vent trim panel next to the MFD and glove box.
    7. With a 10mm socket, undo the two 10mm bolts next holding the MFD in place.
    8. GENTLY pull the MFD forwards and away from it's mounting points. Either disconnect the connectors on the back and place somewhere safe, or make sure it's safely placed on a towel or something soft on the dash.
    9. Undo the four 10mm bolts holding the radio console in place. You could use a Cross-head screwdriver or a socket, but I prefer sockets.
    10. Remove the radio head unit. Get an assistant to hold it for you!
    11. Find the connection on the back of the head unit which matches the SLI2's Y adaptor. Plug the Y adaptor into the head unit, then the existing cable and SLI to head unit connector into the two parts of the Y.
    12. Route the SLI adaptor cable down behind the audio unit. I chose to mount the SLI box behind the round trim panel where the transmission tunnel would be on a regular car. With a bit of foam to stop vibration you can fit the whole thing back together without a problem or vibration.
    13. route the iPod connector cable to your desired location. We decided to route the cable from the SLI unit underneath the carpet (next to the handbrake cable and other cable trunking in the center of the car) and into the glove box. To do this:

• Remove the glove box. Pull the front panel holding the cup-holders upwards and detach it from the rest of the glove box.
    • Undo the two 10mm bolts at the back of the glove box holding it to the floor and the two crosshead screws holding the front of the glovebox down.
    • Detach the 12V accessory power connector to the 12V outlet (and aux in if nessesary - we didn't have this on my Prius).
    • Carefully detach the 12V outlet itself. we unclipped it and made a small hole next to the 12V accesory socket to pass the iPod connector through.
    • Re-assemble the glovebox!
    Eventually we ended up with a nice SLI installation with the iPod connector coming out in the glove box next to the 12V accessory socket. The best bit about this is that the installation is completely stealth. It doesn't look any different from oustide and so doesn't encourage someone to break in to steal equipment, unlike an installation which uses a dash-mounted bracket.

We also installed the cabling for the CanView, which is installed and working fantasticaly too!

Photos to follow.

Nikki.