1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sliding noise inside the r/side upper dash near windshield (Solved)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ZC1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Today, only 750miles into my new 2008 purchase EVERYTIME I turn right or left to park, I get a solid sliding sound that ends in a small clunk, which seems to be in the interior right side just under the windshield inside the dash itself. Yes, way up inside there, not a pretty prospect for removal.

Absolutely nothing has changed in the 750 miles, I created habits early and stuck with them, so there are no different habits to account for this.

Facing the prospect of removing the dash OR searching PriusChat, I chose PC. After a bit of reading I came across this fantastic post.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/32854-clicking-noise-behind-glove-box-2.html#post454218
    (Thanks much to the guy who posted his solution)

This guy had a sliding sound similar to mine which turned out to be his glasses in the overhead glasses compartment. But...
    I don't leave glasses in there....Except,
    for 750 miles I have put my almost suitcased sized cell phone/PDA in there. It never ever slid around before.

But this is today and not yesterday, so I remove the cell phone from the compartment, feel around inside to find a soft non-gripping surface, which I remedy with a wide strip of flat weatherstripping for car haulers (trailers).

Allakhazam, return the cell phone to it's properly upright position and the problem is gone.

Moral of the story: So if you have a weird clunking, clicking, sliding sound coming out of your interior dash/glovebox area, check the overhead bin first. It might save you heaps of time.

ZC1

2. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A worse problem is figuring out how I put on 748 miles since April 20, 2008, starting at mile 2. I don't drive that much normally, guess I'm taking too many test drives. :D

ZC1

3. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not that hard. First few days I visited my mother (400 miles RT) and a couple of trips to the doctor (35 miles RT) and I had well over 500 miles within a week. Thankfully things have settled down since then.

Bob