1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slight friction/grinding noise at moderate speed and slight left turn

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eug, May 18, 2011.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Around the 100000 km mark I got my car serviced. They did work on the brakes at that time.

Shortly after that I started noticing a very slight grinding / friction noise, but only when I had the steering wheel in a very gradual left turn, at moderate speed, say 20-60 km/hr. It was very intermittent and at times it was completely absent. I took the car in and they said they couldn't replicate the noise, but nonetheless they looked at all the brakes again. When I got the car back, the noise was gone... for a couple of weeks. It's back again, but milder. I only notice in gradual left turns at moderate speed, not at slow speed and not when turning right.

At times I almost wonder if it sounds like wheel noise, but I suspect the noise is coming from elsewhere, some sort of mechanical friction noise.

Anyone have ANY idea what I should look for? The first thing I'll do is top up the tires to 37 PSI all around just remove tire noise as a possibility, but I suspect it will do nothing. I will bring the car back in but I'm worried they'll just again say that they can't replicate the issue.

I want to keep this car as long as possible. It's a 2004, but only with about 103500 km on it. However, issues such as this worry me as the car is no longer under any warranty.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It always pains me to read stories where an unnecessary repair was made, and the car was made worse in the process. Keep taking it back until they fix it.

3. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sounds like a wheel bearing starting to go to me, when they put it up on a lift to look it over it took the tension off the wheel and let it move a bit away from the bad spot. my wifes buick was doing the same thing fro over a year before i found the problem. I'm not deaf but close acording to her but she has hearing like a dog so I didn't find the noise until much later and then had to eat crow for telling her she was nuts or hearing things.

1 person likes this.
  4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmmm... Is 100000 km early for wheel bearings?

If it does have to get replaced, should they be replaced in pairs (right and left)?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not necessary to replace wheel bearings in pairs. If the problem is a wheel bearing, the noise will get louder and become very obvious soon enough. It is certainly possible for a wheel bearing to fail at 60K miles although that is a short service life.

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    It came back with a vengeance and I took it in and wouldn't you know it, it became much, much less noticeable as soon as I got there. The mechanic came out for a test drive with me and wasn't sure he could hear it, until I had him drive the car. Then he noticed it.

You guys were right. It was a wheel bearing.

BTW, I didn't just hear it. I could actually feel it in the ride of the car when it got bad. When I got the car fixed again it actually felt smoother.

P.S. The mechanic was the first Prius guy in the area (since a dozen years ago) and said he trained on a right-side drive Prius from Japan, which he got to drive on our local Toronto highways.