1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. JRob_06Prius

JRob_06Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2006 Prius and am having intermittent Slip Indicator/Buzzer go off in dry conditions above 40 mile per hour. I can manually disable the traction control and drive fine never going off until I restart. I am reading it could be YAW or wheel speed sensors or VSC needs to be reset. Any Ideas?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How are your tires? Check that all the pressures are close. There have been reports of VSC going off at high speeds because of this.

3. JRob_06Prius

JRob_06Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did just add air to tires before I noticed issue. I will check ASAP. I hope it's that simple.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also check your tyre sizes are the same each side and front to rear as this can also trigger the light.

John (Britprius)

jdcollins5 likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If tyre pressures are ok and the tyres are of the same size, remove and clean the ABS sensors on the front hubs. These are magnetic and can attract small metal particles that will interfere with there operation. Also check down the hole where they fit with a lamp to see if the teeth on the activation ring are all there. "non missing" The rears are sealed in the hub so these rarely give problems.

John (Britprius)

#5 Britprius, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. JRob_06Prius

JRob_06Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I'll look at ABS sensors. Are these the same sensor that monitor wheel spin?

7. JRob_06Prius

JRob_06Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did change the tire pressure from 41psi all around to 35psi Front, 33 psi Rear. It seemed to change the frequency of the slip indicator light buzzer, but it still eventually came back on.
    Tires are all the same fairly new and match stock sizing.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. The same sensors are used for speed, distance, ABS, TC, and VSC. The sensors check the speed of each wheel against the others and if it differs outside of a given parameter it will trigger a reaction. A front wheel going faster than the rest would trigger traction control. Any wheel slowing more when braking will trigger the ABS. A combination of inputs including steering angle, yaw sensor, and multiple wheel speed differences will trigger vehicle stability control.
    Not wishing to sound to blunt but did you check all the tyre size details not just the rim size as you need to check the aspect ratio, and width. The fact that you only hit problems above 40 MPH really does suggest a tyre problem although metal debris stuck on the sensor is possible.

John (Britprius)

#8 Britprius, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014