1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slip warning with spare tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John He'd, Jan 3, 2013.

1. John He'd

John He'd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a flat today and put on the spare. Over about 15 mph I got the Slip Warning light and the system was limiting my speed. Is there a button or something to disable the system so I can drive at normal speeds? From other postings it seems not. Is there anything else I should be doing???

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope no button. Very aggressive anti skid system. Toyota got a little carried away. Get that tire off asap.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) Inflate the spare tire to 60 psi.
    2) If that doesn't help, move the spare tire to a rear position.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. John He'd

John He'd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire fixed. Thanks for info.

5. John He'd

John He'd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. So u think the stab control only uses front tires? If so they should advise this in the manual.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... the traction control is primarily about protecting the hybrid drive train instead of actually getting better traction. If I ever get a flat front tire... I'll for sure never put the spare on the front because of possible damage / same damage that the traction control is trying to protect the car from.

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good to know. And while we are on the topic, really Toyota, really? Did you have to paint the spare tire such a "stick out like a sore thumb" color?!? It already looks like a 10-speed bicycle wheel, there really is no need to draw any more attention to it :rolleyes:

uart and PriusCamper like this.
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It might be by design.

I can't find the post but I thought RonDawg on Tivocommunity (he's a cop) posted about them intentionally being a weird color for safety reasons, so that people know you're running on a donut and your speed is limited.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^
    After some digging, I found his post. Here's an excerpt:

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Funny. The first time I saw the Prius spare I started looking all around for the rest of the wheel barrow. :D

PriusCamper and PriusGuy32 like this.
  11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One other fact that has not been mentioned, the Prius spare is not designed properly for the lug nuts on the Prius. Look closely at the donut spare and you will see that the holes where the studs go thru the wheel are tapered to fit a "standard" lug nut, and not flat like the standard wheel. IMO, the Prius spare is not really safe to use because the lug nuts could possibly work lose. You can buy standard lug nuts for the spare, but that is bordering on insanity. I understand why the color is awkward, off etc but I don't appreciate the difference in the design where the lug nuts come into play when using the donut spare.

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone bought a full size spare so they don't have to worry about being crippled by a fake wheel? My last car (Subaru) came with a donut but the spare tire location could hold a full size tire. I doubt that'd work in a Prius, but I'm gonna look into seeing if a mod could be done to make it fit somewhere.... I sure wish lots of flat tires to the Toyota designers that think donuts wheels or worse a can of fix-a-flat is a legit solution for Prius users.