1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow coolant loss over 30,000 miles; 2010 Prius II w/ ~85k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wheelsup, Mar 4, 2015.

1. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A couple years ago noticed the coolant + inverter reservoir was on the low side. Took it to the dealer who pressure tested it and didn't find anything wrong, added a bit, and said good to go. Roughly 55,000 miles.

Today at close to 85,000 miles the coolant in both the radiator tank and the inverter is again touching the "L" mark. They were filled up to the middle/almost topped off after the dealer visit.

Just curious if others have had this issue and/or where to look. I haven't touched the coolant since purchasing at 42,000 miles in 2011.

This is the only issue I've had with this car so far. But it scares me, as coolant loss can be a big deal! Something as small as this isn't as concerning unless it's leaking some place I don't know about, or being consumed in the engine (no milk in oil, although with such a small loss, I wouldn't expect to see it), but frustrating nonetheless.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Check the caps. They may leak under the slight -vacuum- when the car cools off. This makes the system unable to pull coolant back from the overflow tanks. When this happens people pressure test it and say it's fine, and it is, -under pressure-. But not under the cooldown vacuum condition. It's often caused by a small leak at the rubber seal of the caps. What happens if you have this is the overflow tanks overflow themselves (often through an overflow hose that drains to the ground) during warmup (while you're driving), so you don't notice coolant on the ground. And just to make it even harder to diagnose, often the leak is intermittent.

Do not remove the caps until the engine is cold! You probably already know that, but just in case I thought I'd warn you. Look for imperfections on the surface of the rubber gasket, buildup of "grunge" on the edge of the filler, etc. I've found something as small as a scratch on the rubber causes this, and in another vehicle, couldn't find anything, but the problem went away when I bought new caps.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours was built in Aug 09, we bought in Nov 10, and both inverter and engine coolant reservoirs are now at or slightly below the low line. I chalk it up to evaporation. It's been like that on any vehicle we've had, maybe more so.

I'm going to knuckle down and buy a 4 liter of the premix.I just wish you could buy a quart/liter. :(

4. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Despite been not been exposed to atmosphere, these coolant somehow do evaporate, I had to top my off 50-100 mL every year, summer time is when it really starts to become evident of coolant level drop. (average outside temps 90*F-105*F in peak summer) just keep any eye on your coolant level every time you fill up your tank.

5. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys. Plot thickens. Car is immobile now with check hybrid system in the dash. At the dealer now. 87k miles.

Odd the coolant is consumed, hearing you have the same issue I feel relieved. Still, my other cars never really consumed it.

Hoping for the best.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not unusual for coolant level to slowly drop in the reservoir. It's by no means air-tight, and heating/cooling would accelerate evaporation I think.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That guy's full of it, lol. I just topped up our reservoirs, they were a hair below low mark: unscrewing the cap I see:

1. It's got a locking tab, positively holds the cap.
    2. there's an O-ring on a protrusion on the underside of the cap, it extends down into the neck of the reservoir. When you pull the cap out there's a definite psst of escaping air.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about this, from my motorcycle....

I tend to lose fluid over time. No obvious leaks. There was a time I could see "puffs" of steam from the radiator. Passed pressure testing every time.

Some leaks are so small, there is no danger of failure or significant loss you can monitor in real time, but over time, it adds up. Finding them can be pure happenstance...being in the right place to see the evidence as it happens.