1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Slow" fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xbdude, Apr 30, 2007.

1. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2006 has 19 K on the odometer, and recently when I fill it with fuel, the gauge does not respond for about 100 miles or so. I usually fill up when the gauge shows about one-half tank-- half the bars. It stays that way for a couple of days, even when the car is shut off and turned on again. Anyone else have this happen?

2. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Apr 30 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]432795[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I filled my tank on April 4 and the gauge still shows 10 bars. I drive it around town about every other day.

Mary

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Apr 30 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]432795[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are due for a warranty trip to the dealer.

4. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like normal operation to me.

During the summer, I've seen full bars when I've got 140 miles on a tank, then they'll start to drop. When I get to 2 bars, I fill up. As long as it shows full right after you fill it and doesn't show over 1 bar when you run out, it's considered to be working normally.

Why do you think they call it a "guess gauge"?

5. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ May 1 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]433339[/snapback]</div>
    I think the problem is when the OP refills the tank the guage does not reset to the "full bars" display. If he fills up when the tank is half empty the display continues to show the "half full" readout until about 100 miles or so after the refueling. I agree with JimN - this definitely sounds like a problem for the dealer to fix.

6. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct, moxiequz-- that's exactly what is happening. I'll give it one more try (fill-ups are soooo far apart!) and if it still doesn't show full, I'll take it to the dealer as I have the extended warranty. Thanks, all!