1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slow leak on tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, May 11, 2006.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I changed to Goodyear Comfortread end of last year, and did not notice this until now.

My car pulls slightly to right when I brake. First I thought the alignment might be off. Since I park on the street, I bump into the curb once in a while. Before going to check the alignment, I should check the tire pressure first. So it turns out that my front right tire is at 32PSI when hot! My front left tire is 45PSI, and my rear tires are at 44PSI. Note, these are pressure when tires are hot, after a 30 minute drive. I pumped the pressure back up to 45PSI and notice no more pull to right during this morning’s commute. I will check my tire pressure more often now.

Do you guys have any solution to tires that develop a slow leak like I have here? I will hate to change the tire since the treads still look like new.

Thanks in advance.

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't your tires have some kind of road hazard warranty, where it will be repaired or replaced at little cost to you?

If not, you can get that repaired for about $12, unless the leak is in a location on the tire not recommended for plugs. When I've done ths in the past I took the tire off the car and dropped it off at the tire shop (or service station) in the morning. You can pick it up a few hours later and put it back on your car when convenient.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the pressures of all tires, cold, at the next opportunity. You added relatively cold air to a hot tire, so it will not have the same pressure as the one on the other side when they come to the same temperature.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Slow leaks on alloy rims are not uncommon, as the alloy builds up a layer of oxide that interferes with a good seal. Have your tire store check the tire and rim. My bet is that it is a bad seal on the rim.

Tom

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 11 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]253613[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with qbee42. If there is no puncture in the tire, it could be a slow leak, which could be caused by oxidation of alloy rim or a bent rim (not detectable by naked eyes) from hitting obstacles. :(

6. kDB

kDB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 11 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]253613[/snapback]</div>
    i agree, have them remount the tire after cleaning the wheel where the bead seats. this is usually the cause of a slow leak, especially since you just got new tires.
    it may also be the valve stem, but i'm guessing this is your second set of tires, and they probably didn't replace the stems, so they should be fine.

7. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about putting a can of fix a flat in it. I would only do that if it is leaking down past 35 psi in less than two or three months.

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks for all the replies! :)

I will have the tire pressure re-check and tire remount first. If that doesn't correct the problem, then I'll try other things that you guys suggested.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My back-right has a slow leak. I check all tires every weekend and that one will be at 35 when the others are 42f/40r. Annoying and I think I'm finally at the point where I'm willing to pay to get it fixed rather than checking it and inflating it every week.

10. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 11 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]253765[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of tire places dismount the wheel, inflate it to max (or overinflate) and use a water tank to look for the leak. I have had good luck by just using a spray bottle of soap solution (dishsoap or "Snoop" - make for leak finding). I just spray it all over the tire and look for a pile of fine bubbles growing on the tire, the rim, or the valve stem. If I don't see anything, I roll the car forward so the tire rotates half way around and try again. My bet would be a nail or screw ground off flat by the road or a valve stem leak as the most likely candidate. I think it less likely a one year old car would develop a corrosion leak on the rim even in NY. You can then have a tire place replace the valve stem or dismount and patch the tire from the inside.

- Tom

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hey, Tom_06 knows what snoop is! Work in a chemistry lab perhaps?

Cousin Tony, while you may have a leaky rim, I would encourage you to study how the Schrader valve works. The thingy in the middle of your valve stem might be loose, but with the appropriate little gadget, you can tighten it. This may be a very easy fix.

12. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ May 11 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]253884[/snapback]</div>
    Sort of. I have spent 30+ years designing Gas Chromatographs for Hewlett-Packard & Agilent Technologies. Snoop is great stuff for finding gas (not gasoline) leaks.

- Tom

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ May 11 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]253884[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe we should switch to Presta valves to save weight. :p

Tom