1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

slow Priuschat perf around 10 pm Pacific time or later?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by cwerdna, Jan 14, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've noticed recently (past few days) that sometimes after say 10 or 11 pm Pacific time, PC is VERY slow. Pages are slow to come up w/my browser sits for many seconds on its initial request ("waiting for priuschat.com" in the status bar, not on some ad server).

I don't see the same prob on other web sites w/the same browser (Firefox 3.5.7) on the same machine. I'm on Verizon FiOS and see ping times of ~69 ms and no packet loss. I even tried telnetting to priuschat port 80 and then sending a GET / by hand. It seems to take MANY seconds before a response comes back.

During the above slow times, the other, IIRC, I hit error pages coming back from Priuschat when opening valid posts/links, that I recall went away after a refresh.

Does the forum software keep logs of how long it's taken for pages to get sent to the browser (client) after the initial request or something like that?

edit: ~12 minutes after my initial post, things have gotten a bit better from both a browser and telnet to port 80 POV.

I spoke too soon as it got worse soon after but then it got very zippy, most of the time.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't worry, it's not just you. In a prior thread on the subject, the consensus was that there is some sort of automatic server maintenance happening around that time. Probably has more to do with the hosting service provider than with PriusChat specifically (i.e., it's not something Danny is doing).

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its the signal that you are spending too much time on PriusChat. :madgrin:

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something like that. :)

I take it as my signal that it's time to head for bed.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sigh.. I only wish. With my screwed up sleep cycle and long hours at work, I've been frequently not arriving home until after 10 pm.

Usually I have to check my stocks and a few other things before getting on PC.

edit: I got a "Page not found" error emitted by Priuschat's server when trying to post this reply originally. It has much of the graphics from PC in it.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll contact the server admins about pushing back some of the maintenance tasks that run every night. Those tasks take a huge amount of processing power.

2 people like this.
  7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Danny. Hopefully some maintenance time can be squeezed in between when the West Coast night owls go to bed and the East Coast early birds get up.