1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smackdown: Top 5 "Cost of Ownership" Clean Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sorry, but I have to take issue with a couple of the measuring sticks used, in this Business Week article:

[​IMG]

http://images.businessweek.com/cms/2011-09-19/newchart2.jpg

1) Clean cars: Um, the Volt doesn't reach SULEV status
    2) PHEV Prius: Since battery warranty is available (and cost) it's going to knock one car off the list.
    3) 5yr Cycle: Why not a 10 year cycle to reflect replacement batteries

Perhaps the same 5 cars would make the list if you juggled the stats accordingly (and you don't require SULEV to be 'clean') - or - would the cost of the large Volt/Leaf batteries being replaced, knock them out of the top 5 all together?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They took "depreciation" into account? Oh really... How'd they predict that for a Leaf and a Volt? And the fact that Ford and GM cars have considerably lower resale value than their imported counterparts. My Prius has appreciated in value since I bought it.

It looks like gas would have to be $6.5/gal for a Volt to be a good deal, and that assumes no electricity price hike.