1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smacked from behind at a stop sign

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by snijd, Dec 15, 2015.

1. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    and poor Goldie may be dead. Our 2006 Gold Pkg 4 baby looks to have the frame pushed forward at the two bumper attachment points, by between one and two inches. Will this be considered totaled? I know this becomes more likely as the vehicle ages.

I was very surprised to find, 20 minutes after the "big bang," that my neck began to hurt, as did my 14-year-old daughter's. And she's a gymnast! I don't know the exact impact velocity, but guess it exceeded 10 mph. The front bumper on the Ford Explorer was pushed back a couple of inches. The other driver said, "There's no damage, is there? My foot slipped off the brake pedal!" Whatever. The police declared her to be at fault.

I intend to take it to a locally owned and operated shop, vs one of the chains. Any suggestions about how to navigate this process? I don't think I want to buy this vehicle back from the insurance company, if they won't repair it. Already pondering how to replace it. I've read up a little regarding negotiating a payoff amount, but we'll see if it comes to that.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you are ok.
    Probably depends a lot on the shop you go to (and damages of course). We had a rear ender last year and I thought they would total but it was a high volume shop they fixed it for about $2500. Outcome might be different this year with prices so low.

PS- I don't know what you can do about it but shops are bad at running down the 12v as they repair the vehicle

#2 wjtracy, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would start at your doctors office or emergency room, and worry about the car later. don't wait to discover possible long term health issues. all the best!(y)

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 2006 model would soon need a HV battery replacement. So this might not be so bad if you need to replace the car now.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you get the chance, switch the hatch light off, and turn the dome light switch to the fully off position. That'll help a bit.

Any pictures?

wjtracy likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read your first sentence, "...poor Goldie may be dead " and glanced at your avatar picture, and I initially thought the story was a whole lot more tragic, and we were talking about the loss of a beloved pet dachshund. So I'm glad to hear everyone seems OK and we are only talking about a vehicle here.

Working with Insurance Companies and settlements, and Body Shops can all be frustrating.
    My advice is just take it one step at a time. You are probably best served trying to research or find a body shop with a great reputation. SInce the accident isn't your fault and you won't be paying, try to find one with a great reputation, that does good work, I would just use the internet, look for reviews of local shops. Or of course you can ask around...but find one you feel you can trust.

The second thing I think you want to do in preparation for whatever might happen is determine what the value of your vehicle was before the accident.
    That's just "If" the Insurance doesn't repair, you have an idea what to expect or what a fair settlement might be.

Do you own multiple vehicles? Your profile say's 2010 Prius III, your post is about a 2006. I only ask, because if you end up on the hunt for a replacement vehicle, it's a whole lot easier if you have a second vehicle and don't have to necessarily rush the process.

Good Luck....glad "Goldie" isn't a dog.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect it won't take a lot of body work to total a 10 year old car. I like the local Toyota dealer's collision shop. I would drop it off there & get a rental Prius from their fleet.

Shop around for your 2006 and document the offers you find. You won't know a lowball offer unless you investigate the market. I would let my insurance handle the claim on the car and file a claim for the rental with the other party. If your daily limit is higher than the rental then it doesn't matter. If the daily limit is lower than you'll be filing a claim for the difference.

Your insurance company will explain the process for the personal injury claim.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

8. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions! The doc says it's classic whiplash, with no apparent spinal injury. I take my daughter in this afternoon.

The body shop is a local firm, and so far, I'm pleased with their behavior. They think it can be repaired, and that there is no body/frame compression, but they won't be sure until the bumper comes off. That sounded like the deciding factor on the car's ultimate prognosis--it's either not that big a deal, or it's a big deal. I was very surprised that he hopes to save the aluminum bumper--I expected that to have been deformed.

Yeah, it wouldn't break my heart to lose the car, but we'll see what happens.

And Mr. Frodo, our little teckel (dachshund, if you like the German spelling) is fine, and wasn't in the vehicle. He does like to drive, though.

#8 snijd, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
    Robert Holt and The Electric Me like this.
  9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Glad everyone is okay. Just make sure your insurance company doesn't see the picture of Mr. Frodo driving. ;)

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very sorry to hear about your accident and I hope that you and your daughter will be OK. Good luck with the insurance process - as previously suggested it probably is best to let your insurance company handle the case working with the other driver's insurance.

Without seeing photos, it is hard to say what will happen to the car - if the rear hatch needs to be replaced then the car may need to be totaled given its age. That is a very expensive aluminum part and probably is not very available as a used part from salvage yards.

Around nine years ago, my wife and daughter experienced an accident similar to yours where the 2001 Prius rear was hit by a Dodge Durango. My wife has not fully recovered from the soft tissue damage caused by that accident and has required chiropractic treatment over an extended period since traditional medicine did not provide adequate help. So be very careful before signing off on a release stating that you have no medical issues. When you are interviewed by the insurance claims adjuster they will push for you to say you have no problems - so be absolutely sure that is the case before you agree.

Silver bullit likes this.
  11. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, Patrick. Sorry to hear about your wife's continuing issues. It's such a shock when it happens, that it's a little difficult to assess the severity, even immediately after. My doctor said I wouldn't have even realized the whiplash was happening, it was so fast.

The car doesn't look that bad, and maybe it will be an inexpensive repair. Their initial estimate was rather low. But they also said that they will really only know after removing the bumper. He's a bit suspicious of frame damage, which is what I thought I detected. But it's very difficult to see clearly, simply by crawling beneath the car.

I think my daughter will recover quickly, because she is so remarkably fit--and young. I, on the other hand...

12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It sounds like you are waiting for an adjustor or two to look at the car. Since it is not your fault new OEM parts is the only way to go. I would be concerned about the paint shop baking the traction battery. Ask the shop. I'd be looking for them to volunteer that they pull the battery.

Ask the Toyota dealer's shop what they would do.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do all paint jobs get baked?

14. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car is finally at the shop. So far, I'm very impressed with their attitude and responsiveness. Because I went "out of network" to use this shop, I'm acting as the go-between, and will pay them directly, while my insurance company is paying me all costs. Seems a little odd. A leak has appeared, around the perimeter of the hatch seal, and water collects in the spare tire well, in the aux battery well, and in the little well at the left rear corner. Would loss of integrity at the seal be an indicator of damage to the hatch or body?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most likely, unless the gasket has been dislodged.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to say yes, potentially.
    And a reputable, good body shop should be checking for that.

17. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, what's the estimate?

18. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the roof can crack at the top corners of the hatch. some cars have cracked there without being in an accident. get the bodyshop to take a close look at the roof seam under the end of the roof trim strips and at the top of the hatch opening.

19. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Received a call late this afternoon, and they've revised their estimate, having found previously hidden body damage. After finding the source of the leak, this didn't surprise me much.

20. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To make a final update to this old thread I started: I got the car back at the end of the year. Then about a month ago, I began hearing sloshing noises, which I traced to the spare tire well and battery well. The leak had not been stopped. The shop claimed this was a new leak, unrelated to the collision. "Nonsense," I replied. "Whatever!" they responded. So much for standing behind their work. In the end, my insurer paid to repair this "undiscovered damage." I thought that was good of them. It may have been "undiscovered," but it casts doubt on the adequacy of their testing protocol, at the least.

This time, the car came back with the leak corrected, but with various trim pieces incompletely reattached (some missing clips), and one of the strap tie-down bolt assemblies lying loose on the floor of the spare tire well. This shop won't get repeat business from us! Final, total repair cost: about $3K. About five times the initial estimate. And the HV battery was very low on initial startup, making me wonder how much, or often, they drained the 12V battery.

Lessons learned:
    Stick with one of the shops in the insurance company's network, even if you think there might be a better shop around.
    Carefully evaluate every item touched, before you leave the shop's premises.
    Try not to get rear-ended! Strobing brake lights? (probably not)