1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

small engine vibration for first time start the car on a day

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hc167, May 12, 2009.

1. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hey, I found this issue for my car. I am not sure this is really issue or what. So the problem is every day I go to work. I start the car, and then the engine started in few seconds. then I feel the engine vibration (the cat still at stop position). Is that normal? I mean this vibration is little stronger than when I drive the car for more than 15 mins with the car stop but the engine is still on. I think I read somewhere that when the car start, the motor start the engine, which make the pistons move but pump the motor oil from oil pan. and at this time, the car has not burn any gas yet until the oil pump finish pumping the motor oil. Is that true? By the way, since I feel the vibration. Is that also mean that my engine is building up sludge? Should I tried something like Auto-RX? I tried Auto-RX with my old Lexus and had good result.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles?
    Run a bottle of Techron through it on your next fillup and see
    if that improves things... if you have access to a sufficiently
    capable scantool, an injector balance test might be in order.
    If you're somewhere in the neighborhood of 100K miles, have the
    plugs ever been changed?
    _H*

3. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It has 80K miles now. I changed the plugs at 65K. no, I do not have scan tools. well, again, the vibration is very small and only there the first time I start the car in the day. I may try some injector cleaner.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably that the engine is cold. The shudder is more pronounced when cold.

5. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it was about 50F. and yes, the vibration is more obvious as the temperature go down more

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds normal. If you are worried about it or if it changes have a Prius service technician listen to it. They may have to keep the car over night so that it will be cold when they start it.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you set the parking brake? If the parking brake is not engaged then the start-up shudder may be more apparent.

1 person likes this.