1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small issues...?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cuttooth, Dec 12, 2007.

1. cuttooth

cuttooth Aficionado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sorry to report that I already have a few newbie-esque questions relating to our new 2008 (355km-old) Prius.

I'm concerned over the brakes, mainly. While coming to a stop on dry pavement, if I apply a normal amount of pressure on the brake pedal and then release this pressure to a much lighter one (maybe a second or two from a complete stop at this point), attempting to avoid a harsh, head-bobbing type of stop, the brakes seem to "hiccup" a couple of times. There is no loss of braking power, and if I just brake harder (inducing said head-bobbing stop) the "hiccups" aren't there. I wish I could better describe what I'm feeling...it's sort of like a push/pull kind of sensation.

Also, I've noticed that a substantial amount of pressure is required on the brake pedal to disengage the yellow "from battery to generator to wheels" arrows while completely stopped.

My questions to you, fine panel of enthusiasts, are: is this normal function of the vehicle? Is this simply a matter of break-in period?

I'm not panicking, just curious if I should adjust my driving habits or my car. :)

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both are normal. You learn to either cope with them or you relearn you techniques. I think your first problem might lessen after your car gets broken in. I had the same braking issue when I first got my car but it has since gone away. Either because of break in or because I learned a different braking technique. I have no clue on which it would be.

3. cuttooth

cuttooth Aficionado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks very much; this is, of course, a great relief. :D

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, double post, my bad.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found you adapt your driving to reduce the shudder you sometimes get as you reduce pressure just prior to stopping. Sometimes if you stop 5 or so minutes into a journey the engine shuts off as you stop too. I think what you feel is the brakes taking over from the regen.

You also get used to holding firm pressure on the brake when stopped.