1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small Scare

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ravenlocks, May 1, 2006.

1. Ravenlocks

Ravenlocks New Member

I had a little bit of a scare with my Prius the other day. I went outside to clean the inside, and had all the doors open including the hatch. Then, I closed all of them and decided to move the Prius back from where I parked it, but when I put it in DRIVE a warning symbol illuminated on the dash panel with a constant beep, and the MFD display said "CAUTION: SHIFT GEAR INTO P WHEN PARKED THE BATTERIES WILL NOT RECHARGE WHEN IN NEUTRAL". :eek: However, I wasn't in neutral so I got very concerned trying to read the manual and figure out what was wrong with it. Then I got concerned because the night before, I had been at a drive in and had the car on "ACC" from time to time and wondered if that may have harmed the battery in some way. So, I went upstairs to call my Toyota dealer and spoke with a tech.....I explained to him what was going on and he said "Now, this may sound kinda stupid but are all your doors shut? If one of your doors isn't closed properly, this is a common response from the car. Check to make sure and if you still get this message, call me back."

So, I went down to my car - reclosed all the doors and when I started it - sure enough - everything was back to normal! :unsure: Talk about relief!!!! THe minute it happened I had these visions of my Prius being towed to Toyota, and my boss making fun of it on Monday after all the good things I said about the car.

It was odd being there was no symbol on the dash that let you know one of the doors was ajar.

Kim

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There actually is a symbol on the dash that shows up when a door is ajar-it's a little red car symbol with open doors, and it will show up if a door is open or not shut all the way. I had that little red car light up for the first time after I got my windows tinted. Before I left the tint shop, I did a walkaround to make sure the doors were all closed and it looked like they were, so I drove the 5 miles home. Once I got home, I opened then reshut the hatch door-that one wasn't shut all the way, oops.

If your door is ajar and you begin to move the car (I think it only happens in reverse?), the mfd warning will flash on about being in Neutral...I personally think it should just say something more to the tune of 'door is ajar' instead of that blurb about being in Neutral.