1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

small suv hybrids?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jennjay, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It seems to me that the best candidates for hybrid SUV's would be The Toyota RAV 4 and the Honda CRV. Obviously that is not the way that Toyota and Honda think because I don't think they are even on the table. Could someone hypothesize why that is the case. Toyota and Honda lead the pack in hybrid technology and this seems like the perfect match with the small SUV's

2. Locust43

Locust43 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Nov 2 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]342924[/snapback]</div>
    If only honda could actualy make a full hybrid like the Prius

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Nov 2 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]342924[/snapback]</div>
    Simple. Just look at the big picture... the decade here.

Prius = Prove the technology. Build the reputation. Entice enthusiasts.

Highlander-Hybrid = End the power & speed misconceptions.

Camry-Hybrid = Scare the crap out of the competition!

Sienna-Hybrid = Show how silly SUVs are as a family transport.

After that comes the other hybrids models.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As usual, John's on it.

And this is a pretty topical discussion for me since I spent this whole afternoon talking about "proof of concept" hardware and software prototypes.

Toyota is talking about offering their entire fleet in hybrid models. Originally, I heard "by 2010" but recently I've heard "as demand and parts allow." When you think about the spread in the types of vehicles currently available in hybrid models, it's pretty wide. And that's the point. Toyota and Honda have already proven that they can make the smaller cars. Next up, SUVs. Okay, now that we have the Highlander and Lexus, let's move on. You want a family sedan application? How's a Camry suit you? And let's not forget the new Lexus Sedan. And just like that, Toyota's proven the concept of a "hybrid for every need."

From here, they can just fill in the gaps.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Nov 2 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]342934[/snapback]</div>
    Very insightful. What do you make of Ford starting with small SUVs?

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 2 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]343006[/snapback]</div>
    Predictable.

What they'd do next was a total mystery though... and still is. Supposedly, it will be a sedan. But how it will be configured (power, emissions, efficiency, etc.) won't be certain for quite awhile. Hopefully, their new CEO won't break promises and won't be obsessed with quarterly returns.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Nov 2 2006, 11:35 PM) [snapback]343013[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. But how can you be a CEO in America without being obsessed with quarterly returns? That's a rhetorical question btw, I have the same wish about several companies.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would make sense for the RAV4 since there is plenty of space under the floor for a battery. I haven't seen the cargo area of the new CR-V. The way the new CR-V is designed, it looks like the front grille is large enough to cool an inverter or whatever Honda uses as an equivalent so Honda may be looking at the CR-V next after the Fit-sized hybrid that they're supposedly making.

I think Toyota would probably prefer a Sienna Hybrid first before going onto the RAV4. I mean, why not claim "first hybrid minivan" ?