1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small Town Blues

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Dec 27, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Olympia is a very nice place to live. its centrally located to the coastal beaches, Seattle, the Cascades, etc. it has its own waterway accesses and views and has the benefits of small town living with big time state budgets for support.

but events of the past week have begun to show the slow march of "progress" or maybe some growing pains as this area becomes more and more crowded.

for the first time since i moved here in 1986, we have had two double homicides in less than a week. yes this is the same area that not so long ago, went 3 years without a single homicide at all.

*sigh* i only hope that the "curse of the I-5 corridor" isnt as bad here as it has been elsewhere.

2. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Trust me, you've got it good there. The area I live and work in was once concidered "the boonies", out in the middle of nowhere and to be avoided. Now it's THE place to be! A good thing? No. We now have horrible traffic, 3 rapeists that live here, theft, distruction of private and public property, and I think a few people have been killed as well. Once upon a time one could leave the house doors unlocked without fear of danger; now you don't dare.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i will say your traffic definitely sucks~!!

it should be better after that construction is finished on that exit to the hobby shop.

but our traffic is almost as bad especially around the downtown, I-5, Hiway 101 interchange.

4. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I think they've pretty much finished that construction at the exit, and you know what? The traffic still sucks there. The traffic if horrible even on the other end of Gilman Blvd (all along Front Street). You can't get away from it. Redmond is just as bad, and Sammamish is getting really close to being as bad too. There is no escape!!! *dies* Do you know how much gas I waste in Beast as I idle forever at each and every frick'n light?! *twitch* Heh, maybe I should turn the truck off at every light like the Prius does.... only bad thing is that it uses up a lot of gas restarting. ARGH! SUVs suck!! :mad:

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep and winter time in cold weather your gas mileage be sucking at an enormous amount of gallons per mile!!

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

It's no better up here. I read where we've had 24-5 homicides here this year, b'n'e's all the time and destruction of public and personal property is just like your's. You think your traffic is bad, it took me 45 minutes to go 21 blocks two weeks ago when I did the stupid thing, go across town in the afternoon. Had the BSOC so low the ICE ran all the time took the mileage up to 8.4 l per hundred 28US MPG At least you guy's have freeways the only one we have was built in 1962, and the Gov is intent on not allowing any more freeways into the city. Dumb and stupid comes to mind. All I can say is IT SUCKS.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Boy I don't think that either of these mean anything. Every community has it's share of Wacko's. This is also the time of year. Ask the Psych folks, Police, and ER folks. I am on call New Years Eve and I am dreading it. My worse call days have all been on New Years it seems the pot boils over this time of year. Christmas is bad New Years worse. Men beating women and worse. It is dark and cold and it is hard to reestablish your balance and belief in the over all humanity of the species . The only thing I can say is that at times like this folks like me see the worst and we need to remind ourselves of that. Most people are good, kind, and caring.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i will say that double homicide #2 was solved quickly and cheaply financially but cost another life in the process.

apparently, the killer was a roommate of the owner of the house where all 3 were living. the killer got mad when the owner of the house decided to sell the house and the killer had to move which apparently was the reason for the killing...(sick sick sick!!!)

after the killing, he stole one of the victims car and headed to Oregon where he got stuck in a snowbank. he then killed the tow truck driver who pulled him out, went to a rest stop just down the road and killed himself.

and as far as driving across town during midday traffic... cant remember the last time i tried something that futile...one good thing about having lived in the same area for over 15 years is that i know all the back roads and yes; the backroads are farther, lower speed limits, and at least TWICE as fast!!

9. Frank Hudon

I've lived here since 1977 and did local p+d for 5 of those. I was on my third backstreet. I've given up using the alleys in my old age. Younger, I'd be truckin down them. Already made 2 u-turns in traffic only to get caught the 3rd time. Then gave up and went with the "flow". Henry one of the main problems is a drug, it's called alcohol. As far as the rest .0001% of the population is "wacked" and the more people the more wacko's. Went past the ambulace depot today and I see one of the attendants now has a Seaside pearl Prius and on the way home saw a Tideland. Two more people who "got it".

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will not give up. Over all people are good and care. I think the people (not the govements) have responded to the disaster in Asia. The people in these countries and over the world are helping. Volunteers from the NW and everywhere are flying in to help, sending money and supplies. Unfortunately our government did not "get it", they may yet be shamed into helping.

11. Frank Hudon

apparently my gov rep's have been getting hell from the people for being asleep at the wheel on this one. The fed's have finally woken up and said there going to match dollar for dollar all money's raised by everyone and I read a banner on the CBC (federal gov) TV that said the Prime Minister has been in touch with Bush and said lets do joint relief effort. What will come of that? who knows, personally I think he was just buying time in front of the public. I see were up to $40 million now in donations. Not to shabby for a country of about 30 million men women and children. That'd workout to about $300 million from the US. Over a third of a billion not to shabby. The wife told me tonight some local official in Sri Lanka was caught on film washing out his house with bottled water that had been flown in to help the victims. If they knew that I figure he'd be hanging from the second floor balcony. So even they have wacko's, go figure.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the people have responded. as of thurs afternoon, private industry has raised over 3 times what the US has pledged...

amazon raised over 5 million in the first 48 hours after it started a collection point for donations to the red cross.