1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small whirring motor sound from the rear of the car?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by pdp, May 4, 2012.

1. pdp

pdp New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While parked in our garage tonight, I heard a whirring motor sound coming from our Prius v. It seemed to be coming from under the car toward the rear about halfway between the two rear wheels. I think I've heard this sound before, but tonight it went on for many minutes (5ish). I finally couldn't stand it anymore so I turned the car on by pushing the start button twice without holding down the brake pedel. This stopped the whirring sound, and when I turned the car off, the sound stayed off. Any idea what this is and if it should be going on for 5+ minutes while the car is off?

2. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is a normal sound. The car is running a test of the evaporative emissions systems. In the owners manuals it talks about this particular noise. It also mentions that it takes place several hours after shutting down the car.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It might also be the HV battery cooling fan, which in under the right rear seat.