1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Smart" car is no road scholar

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...473_paul22.html

Recently I came into possession of the ultimate smart — a smart car.....

But the Prius reminds one of the pun inherent in "smart" — a play on words author Don Norman put to perfect use in his book, "Things That Make Us Smart." Although any techie will marvel at the Prius' gadgetry and performance, its idiosyncrasies can also "drive" one to distraction.

2. olends

olends New Member

i have to assume he's never been here. if he had, he'd know how to disable that beep

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The complaint about the R/N/D/B selector was quite unrealistic, since most people simply look at the indicator instead (which he never even mentioned was available). Remember, there is absolutely no way to shift too far like you'd do with a traditional vehicle. Each selection requires a unique motion, not a linear movement based on distance.

The MPG comments were totally without merit, since the article completely failed to mention the digital value shown was on the same screen as the energy-flow diagram... which makes the activity of the vehicle pretty obvious. So there's no need for the fluff he thought would be better. In other words, it took the feature completely out of context, allowing you to draw a misled conclusion.

The comment about the buttons on the steering wheel were quite amusing, though very misleading. Most all vehicles offer the ability to honk the horn by simply pressing the center of the steering wheel now. Pretty much only the very first vehicles with a driver-airbag required you to push a button. Back then, they couldn't figure out a cost-effective way of allowing you to just smack the airbag with your hand instead. That hasn't been an issue for years though. But he makes it sound like it is still.

The counter-intuitive claim could have been a claim to conceal the fact that it makes "B" so darn convenient to shift into on-the-fly. It is quite intuitive, since it is the same direction as "D" and down is a much easier hand-motion than up.

This quote, "Smart keys carry the inherent risk of loss or theft" appears to be an attempt to deceive. Smart keys are quite a bit harder to lose than keys, since you never even remove them from your pocket or purse. As for theft, what it the heck is he talking about? How could that be any different from a key?

The comment about disabling the beep is proof that the write didn't research the topic well. Owners know it is possible, and many of us have done it. But if you didn't know, it's just a matter of asking the dealer.

But the dumbest thing of all about that "smart" article is the fact that the car automatically achieves the reduced emissions & consumption for you was never included.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(olends\";p=\"52072)</div>
    As a result of "being here", I knew how to disable that beep well before my car was delivered, for the love of God!

Re the "smart" technology referred to, I'm thinking what we really need are "smart articles". Writers would sit down and, as they begin to compose their rough drafts, special software would fact-check in the background. The s/w would also scan for inconsistencies, glaring omissions, inane referrences, and statements which tend to confuse readers.

5. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

After reading this story I don't even believe this person even drove the car and used snippets of anti-Prius stories written by other people.
    The man is a total moron.

6. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Random thought but one of you might consider emailing Mr. Andrews and pointing him to this PriusChat thread. As well as informing him of how to disable the reverse sound. His email is [email protected]

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"52073)</div>
    The author of that article clearly doesn't get around much.

Reverse is forward on many cars with six-speed manual transmissions, such as BMWs, or anything with a Tremec T-56 (Corvette, Cadillac CTS-V, Viper). And on BMWs with the sequential manual transmission, you pull back to change gears up.

Of all conventional transmissions, the Prius CVT is closest to a regular automatic transmission, and there the PRNDL floor-mounted shifters have reverse forward, then neutral, and then drive. So I don't know what the author was complaining about.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy\";p=\"52107)</div>
    Steering Column mounted shifters too! To go from drive to reverse you move the gear shift lever up. This hack ain’t not no Rhodes Scholar.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just Googled this hack.

He is a fan of Michael Moore’s journalistic style and undoubtably aspires to be a MiniMooreon with lies and half-truths.

March 15, 2004
    Stupid White Publishers
    http://paulandrews.typepad.com/paulandrews/

10. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"52123)</div>
    I can't believe I actually ducked while reading this. :lol:

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've kindly sent him an e-mail. I'll see what (if he ever cares to reply) he has to say

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"52183)</div>
    If you don't hear back from the hack soon, try contacting the Seattle Times directly . . .

HOW TO REQUEST A CORRECTION
    The Seattle Times and seattletimes.com strive to make news reports fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call: 206-464-3310.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/corrections/

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Am I to understand that this guy is totally ripping on his own car? How long did he have to wait for his car just to be able to write one really lousy article about it?

An idling car technically achieves 0.00 MPG since it will idle the tank dry without going anywhere.

If the consumption switched to the infinity sign while stealthing, even more poeple would write even more stupid articles about that.

I believe we have all unintentionally pressed the wrong button while getting a feel for any new car (or a rental). However, any intelligent human has the ability to quickly adjust to their surroundings. But apperantly, the less intelligent of our genus require at least "a few times" to get it right.

About the shifting, see above.

At this point, I'm tired of pointing out how silly this article is. Somewhere there's an intelligently written and insightful article that that is more deserving of my time.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i also sent him an email suggesting he visit us for info on customizing his Prius...

personally i wonder if its his car, or one he borrowed to write a review on.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"52338)</div>
    I wondered about that myself.

I mean, who buys a car and then says, "Recently I came into possession (of a new car)"?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's been two days and our friend Mr. Andrews has not replied to my e-mail

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. i sent him an email when i read it too.. maybe he's just crying in a corner because he sucks at writing an article.

My email was pretty long. I was counter "arguing" every statement he made. Which i backed up with misc facts.

18. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"52338)</div>
    I would think that newspaper writers who write about cars...don't own the cars they write about... this guy probably has a Packard in the garage... and nothing but a paycheck in his head..

Bob Andersen

19. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave... maybe you should invite him to your next group meeting... like he'd take you up on lunch with a bunch of owners and readers.... :lol:

Bob Andersen

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"52617)</div>
    That or he doesn't bother to learn and will stick to his current thinkings. Hey, if you're successful, there are always people who will try to step you down.

It's funny how he makes it seem like he's never driven an automatic-equipped car in his life or a 6-spd manual.