1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart/dumb key question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bernie Ferrone, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 with a smart key and wanted to have a back up dumb key to use in an emergency. After purchasing a used smart key, I attempted to program the used smart key to just remotely lock/unlock the doors and start the car when the fob was inserted into the slot. It didn't work. I'm guessing the consumer can't program a smart key to do anything without the dealer. Is it possible to purchase a used dumb key and program it to act like a dumb key in a smart key system? Remote open and lock and start the car when inserted in the slot. Thanks for any help.

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Other posts claim you can do what you descirbe (you can search for them). I tried it, and was not successful. Smart key is definetly dealer only.

3. Bernie Ferrone

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I also read that some members thought it was possible, but your experience seems to indicate it can't be done. Have any other members tried it? Pls chime in.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A used smart key can be programmed by the consumer to work as a dumb key for starting the Prius - only for starting, not for opening the doors. Use the mechanical key to open the driver's door, stick the fob in the slot, and start the car. That's all you can do with it after you have successfully programmed it. Programming instructions can be found on this site.

Tom

5. Bernie Ferrone

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response. I followed the directions exactly for programming the used smart key so that I could start the car and it wouldn't work. That's what lead me to believe that you can't user program a used smart key in a smart key car so that is works like a dumb key. Has anyone reprogramed a used smart ket in a smart key Prius to use as a dumb key?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Several, as documented on the many threads about programming fobs. Perhaps you bought a defective one.

Tom