1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart Entry Broken on Both FOBS /2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by blcfxjd, Sep 1, 2009.

1. blcfxjd

blcfxjd New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius with 2 Smart Key FOBS/ 105K Miles. Recently the 1 FOB0 stopped opening doors and then would not start the car even though I had just changed the batteries. Wasn't that worried, since I still had the 2nd FOB. The 2nd FOB stopped opening doors but would still start the car. Went to dealer and bought new FOB. $325. I am economically impaired so this was a Huge expense. The dealer could only get it programmed to start the car when in the ignition. It will not open or lock doors. Said it would be $60/hr to find problem; probably was the car not the FOB. Has anyone else had this happen? I found this forum to do my own research before taking the car back to the dealer.
    Any help is much appreciated.

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Random question.. have you ever changed the 12V battery in the car? If so, how recently?

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Test the fobs: push any button on the fob (you do not have to be near the car). A small red LED should flash in the corner of the fob. If not then the fob battery should be replaced.

If the fobs test OK then test the car's 12V battery, either with a voltmeter at the jump point under the hood or by using the self-test procedure given here (no tools required):
    PriusOnline.com • View topic - how to put 12V battery in sleeping mode?

If the 12V battery is low then that's the problem. If so, buy a new one, try getting a refund for that unneeded new fob, and consider looking for a different dealer.