1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart entry for the rear doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priushead, Nov 10, 2004.

1. priushead

priushead New Member

Is there a way to unlock the rear hatch and rear doors with the smart entry feature on the Prius? It is very convenient to be able to walk up yo the car door and simply open it. Any help is appreciated.
    :D

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    The rear hatch does work with SE/SS... the back door handles do not have the touch sensor.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I often have to open the back doors first. I've just gotten into the habit of touching the front door sensor and reaching for the back door in one smooth move. You don't actually have to open the front door.

BTW, for this to work you have to set your car up to unlock all doors when any of the sensors is activated. To do that hold down the LOCK and PANIC buttons on your remote at the same time and it will cycle through the 3 options. That setting is premanantly stored.

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I imagine that's the exact same thing all of us do.

I think what our friend may be seeking is a SE/SS system that unlocks the doors as you walk up to the car. I doubt we'll ever see that due to security concerns.

5. kam

kam New Member

How I wish Toyota would have provided a setting that would unlock one side of the car at a time (ie. front and back door on the side that had the SKS triggered). It seems such an obvious compromise to the "only driver side" setting and the "all doors" setting.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There is a "door you are at" setting. I.E., if you are at the driver door, the driver door will unlock. If you are at the passenger door, it will unlock. If you are at the hatch, it will unlock.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm approaching the vehicle from the rear, I would just press the hatch release once to unlock all the doors (default setting) then open the rear door :D

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In your Owner's Manual (page 30 as I recall) you will find instructions on how to re-program your fob in three possible modes, one of which is to "unlock all doors." This entails holding down the "lock" and "red alarm" buttons simulataneously until your Prius responds and noting the pattern of the "beeps.".

After several attempts, I was able to re-program my Prius to unlock all doors at the same time.

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, this is what I do, and it's damn irritating. I would have paid extra to get the option for rear door sensors, had that option existed.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I kind of like the default setting: driver's door opens only itself; passenger door and hatch open everything. But then, security is not an issue here in Fargo. It's one of the reasons I stay, in spite of the winters.

11. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aw, Daniel, you can't fool me. I've seen the movie!

Somehow wood chippers have never seemed the same...

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My local Toyota dealer is also a Lexus dealer, and the last time I stopped in they had a gorgeous LS430 fully optioned. Around $105,000 CDN. :eek: Anyway, the LS430 has smart entry on ALL the doors, including lock buttons on the rear door. The sales guy tried to show me how it worked, so I took the transponder out of his hand and pushed the left rear door lock button. I then waited for the doors to cycle, the car beeped, and I touched the inside handle sensor. The Lexus sales guy was stunned, until I casually pointed to my Prius parked right by their window. :p I wish the Prius also had that feature for the rear doors. BTW: with Navigation, the Lexus LS430 climate screen looks just like the Prius screen.

14. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And I would have paid extra to get the hover option, had that option existed. :)

15. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Re: Previous message ^^^
    Except that rear door sensors already exist on Toyota cars. It's a logical option to offer.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What Toyota cars have rear door sensors? I'm only aware of the Prius and the Lexus as having Smart Entry options at all.

Realize this, too. Adding two additional continuously active oscillators will double the battery drain and, logically, shorten the already short half life of the battery even more...we'd start having a plethora of complaints about drained batteries after only a week of sitting locked.

I honestly can't believe this is an issue...the most convenient car entry and starting system on earth isn't convenient enough...it is simply second nature to slip my hand over to the front door sensor, unlock the car without opening the front door and then open the back. I do this same motion probably 3-5 times daily and sometimes more. If it was an inconvenience for anyone it would be me trying to wrangle a baby and two 5 year olds into the back seat, but it just isn't an issue at all and certainly not one worth complaining about....IMO.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps he means Toyota cars outside of NA. Maybe in Japan until next year when Lexus is launched. But yes, so far, all of these kind of smart key entry have sensors on all 4 doors (Infiniti FX, CLK-Class, E-Class etc, LS430).

Will the extra sensors really take a toll on the battery? Doesn't it run off the regular 12-V?

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it really will. Yes it runs off the 12V battery, but it isn't a "regular" 12v, it's quite small and the SKS is the main drain on that 12v when it's active and will drain the 12v in about 2 wks with the current set up. The oscillation rate can be changed from the default of 300/min to 600/min to extend battery life, but each additional sensor is an additional drain. That is why the rear hatch sensor is not an active sensor. It has to be manually triggered by squeezing the button which turns on the sensor to see if there is a paired smart key in range.

If you added continuously active sensors to the rear doors and rear hatch you'd drain that battery in a few days. And everyone would complain about that.

Now, you COULD argue for manually activated sensors on the rear doors similar to the rear hatch. Or for a less directional or longer range on the oscilators with just a sensor to unlock when in range of the driver or passenger side oscillator I guess. But there's a little additional cost there. Somewhere along the line compromises have to be made to make a car that fits in the price bracket you wish to sell it in with as many features as you can while remaining profitable to build.

My point is that this is an extremely tiny sacrifice (lack of back door sensors) for what I got for my money. If you "want it all" you're going to need to be prepared to shell out about twice what you paid for the Prius and look at the Lexus 400H.

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A four door CLK???

I have only seen convertibles and two door coupes.

:?

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha.. oops. Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, CLKs are only coupes and convertibles with 2 doors :oops: I suppose the S-Class is more appropriate.

The new 2005 G35 sedan has the Intelligent Key System as an option. I'm not sure if that's for all 4 doors or not